Author Topic: Some wild weather in my area  (Read 2874 times)

sentsat71

Some wild weather in my area
« on: September 05, 2018, 03:26:24 AM »
yesterday afternoon.
Including a tornado that touched down 10 miles or so East of where I live. Have not heard the extent of damage yer. but the Emergency Management System (EMS), gave out a phone number to call, so there was some damage somewhere. And probably not just the crops.
The town severe weather/tornado siren sent me to my basement, not once, but twice, though not sure why it went off the 2nd time, as my NOAA radio was on the quiet side by that time. This was the second time since moving back here, that the severe weather warning siren went off, the 1st time was early March 2017....

Could stop raining any time now... but at least it has not really been the heavier type rain we had this past June....

Ed K.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: Some wild weather in my area
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »
I hate those tornados as well, Ed.  I know you've had more than your share of rain this year, too.  We should be seeing the severe weather season slowing down soon.  I'm glad you're okay.  Sounds like the rain should be taking a break soon.  All you guys down south in the path of remnants of the big storm be safe and while driving, turn around, don't drown.  Sounds like a lot of rain headed towards Little Rock as well.  Just be safe, guys.🌪💦??????
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »
   Report yesterday from the National Weather Service Office, Des Moines

Time        Location             County     State    Lat         Lon
2044   5 WSW ALGONA    KOSSUTH     IA      4305      9432

KOSSUTH CO. SHERIFF'S OFFICE REPORTS TORNADO ON GROUND NEAR 70TH AVE AND 200TH STREET. DAMAGE TO A BUILDING REPORTED. (DMX)

I think Hurricane Gordon will fizzle out before it becomes much more of a flooding threat to Northern Arkansas, Southern Missouri,  although I did hear on the radio that the Metro Kansas City area could see anywhere from 1" to 3" of rain Friday....we'll see
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »
So dumb story, Monday evening I'm down in Shueyville looking at a water leak for a friend, I go to head home...hmmm storm spotter posted on the road east of the airport. Lots of lightning. I get home a few minutes before 9 pm, the lights are blinking a little, my wife says, 'where's your flashlight in case the power goes out?'....oh dang, in my truck. So I open the big garage door to go out to my truck. WOW....rain is going sideways...I think..gee it's windy, better hurry, but it's not too bad cause the rain is sideways and the truck shields me from most of it. I go back in.
Next day KCRG reports EF1 tornado goes through NW Cedar Rapids. Damage on Wiley and Crestwood and O ave areas. Hmmm Crestwood is the street right behind me!! Found someone's soffit in my back yard. Lots of trees down, but the good news is the Birky Studio for 3D Automotive Art is safe and undamaged.
I've always wanted to see a real live tornado, never have been able to catch one. Then I have one a block away and it's pitch black and I STILL don't get to see it!
tb

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 10:10:33 PM »
  Yep...got that report as well...From the National Weather Service Office in Davenport, Ia.

Time           Location              County    State       Lat         Lon
0207    3 W CEDAR RAPIDS     LINN         IA        4198      9173
EF1 PEAK WINDS 100 MPH ... PATH LENGTH 1.4 MILES ... WIDTH 30 YARDS ... DURATION 907 TO 910 PM. (DVN)

Don't beat yourself up for missing this one.....sounds like it was rain wrapped and only a 1.4 mile path with a 3 minute duration and not even a half a football field wide......you where about as close as you could get to it with out being in its direct path with even at it being an EF-1 can ruin your day as the owner of that soffit will attest to. 

Speaking of Iowa, Amy and myself finally got to see "Field of Dreams" for the first time, just a little while ago...what a neat movie :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 10:16:11 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »
Greg.....remember two years ago, was heading for Algona to catch a movie and in driving east towards Algona, I was looking South and thought i saw what looked like the beginning of funnel cloud. Kept staring at it, (I wasn't the one driving.) and sure enough the funnel kept inching towards the ground and looked like it touched down. Good thing was that it was around 8 or 10 miles away.....where we were, the sun was shining.
Heard the next day that a tornado did touch down, but IIRC, it wasn't om the ground long and was out in the open (field) so no structure damage.
As far as I remember, that was the 1st time I ever saw a tornado "live".....

Much nicer day today.....started out cloudy, but for the most part, cleared up by late afternoon....Wind was from the North, so made for a bit of a preview for fall......
Ed K.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 10:23:44 PM »
Sweet! Cool movie. My Aunt Sondra and Uncle Wayne were in the movie! Haha. Ok kind of...they were in the very long line of cars in their '87 Caprice, in the last scene with headlights heading towards the field of dreams. Trivia; it was filmed at dusk and the procession of cars on the gravel was moving so slowly everyone was instructed to randomly blink their headlights on and off to give the illusion that cars were moving!

sentsat71

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 10:51:01 PM »
That's cool, Tom.......
Ed K.

sentsat71

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 07:28:48 PM »
Having somewhat of a repeat weather that we had last June. Lots of rain, which again flooded by basement for the 2nd time this year.....but, like then did not get that high, but had to wake landlord up at 3:30 this morning.

All the fields that were flooded back in June have now flooded back to the at least the same sized areas, Ground so wet now, farmers don't know when they will get in the fields to harvest their crops.

Still had some rain this morning, but not much, cleared off this afternoon, temps hit the low 80's, followed by early evening more wild weather, in the form of some very fast moving storms, which were moving anywhere from 55 MPH to 60 MPH. and one came thru here, brief strong winds, more rain, and hopefully thru for the season.....

Many people are saying we're in for a very cold winter, with more snow that in the last few years......sure hope those forecasts are wrong, but  I doubt it.......not the way the weather has gone this year.......
Ed K.