Author Topic: Painting resin tires  (Read 5208 times)

djdrews

Painting resin tires
« on: November 07, 2018, 07:15:24 AM »
I was wondering what you guys use for paint on resin tires?  I have some Big Donkey tires and I want them to look as close to rubber as possible.  Anyone have any tips?

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Re: Painting resin tires
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »
.....On my Big Donkey Resin tires,I used Flat Black and did a little bit of Black wash.

The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Lefturns75

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:53:34 AM »
I always liked Floquil grimy black for tires.  I dont think it is available any longer but Testors makes a grimy black today, give it a shot. 

djdrews

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »
No lettering on the tires

Bob P.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 10:48:23 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Here's a little tip on how I paint tires.

I purchase all my tires from Big Donkey resin. Larry recommended to clean his resin with alcohol prior to priming.
I prime with Krylon grey primer then spray with Krylon flat black. This is for tires with no lettering.

Picture below shows how I paint them.
I just slid these tires on the wooden dowel rod to show how I paint the tires.
This method allows you to paint both sides and the tread at the same time.
Just take a tire with you to the local hardware store and purchase a dowel rod the correct diameter.

Hosted on Fotki

This method works great for me, I hope it helps someone else.

Bob

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial, very helpful.  When you guys buy these resin tires from Big Donkey, are you ordering the pre-packaged sets with the tires and wheels together?  They look really good, and I'm trying to figure out what size tires and wheels, along with how many I need to order for some modified and sprint car builds I'm planning.

Bob P.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 12:48:44 PM »
When I'm looking for tires and wheels for a specific build, I email Larry a picture of the car I want to build. If you have any pictures of what you need, send the email and then give Larry a phone call to discuss you needs. He is very helpful.

Bob

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
............  When you guys buy these resin tires from Big Donkey, are you ordering the pre-packaged sets with the tires and wheels together?  They look really good, and I'm trying to figure out what size tires and wheels, along with how many I need to order for some modified and sprint car builds I'm planning.
     Dug up my notes from a previous build I did using Big Donkey tires and wheels.
  I wanted to go with some tire stagger from Left to Right , front to rear as you would with a 1:1 dirt stock car.
  Here is an exert from my notes......

DT-1    33.02 X 18.99  RR   
  DT-2    30.16 X 15.75  LR
  DT-6    30.16 X 14.08  RF
  DT-13  30.06 X  9.46   LF
  DT-27  28.44 X  12.54

#BH    Wide 5's      large front hub

The tire dimensions are height X width....you can either use inches or mm.  ....you can see what tires I used on what corners with that particular build.  I just liked the way the #BH wide 5's w/ the large front hub really looked on this period correct build.   

The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 02:32:06 PM »
Bob and Brian - Thanks for the feedback.  I'll get in touch with Larry and figure out what to order.

Mark

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 10:40:08 PM »
David - Great to know that I can mix and match the wheels and tires.  The MD-3's look like the right tires for at least one of the dirt modifieds on the drawing board.  That's a cool build you have pictured, thanks for the visual.  Helps when you see the wheels and tires under a real build vs. the shots on Larry's site.

Fordguy01

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 02:07:09 PM »
Hi DJ I to am a new member on here and have already got some really neat tricks from these professionals.  I would like to share what has worked for me.  A friend of mine who works in a body shop recommended a rattle can paint called Rubber seal.  The number is RS-510 it is called Medium Gray Bumper and Trim paint. What I do is paint the entire tire with this paint and after it had dried I mask off the tread surface and paint the tire model master flat black when that has dried remove the masking tape and you will have a tread surface lighter in color than the side walls to show use, similar to sanding the tread surface on rubber tires in model kits.  I also shoot a flat clear over the entire thing but if you are going to use tire markings use the gloss clear first.  You may be able to find this paint in a paint supply store or maybe Walmart.  Hope this helps.  Also this paint did not harm the resin from Big Donkey. 

Al Fordguy01

Fordguy01

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 04:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip,  I'll give it  a try.

Al