Author Topic: Anyone ever make a tarp?  (Read 8484 times)

Hondo

Anyone ever make a tarp?
« on: July 15, 2018, 03:10:19 PM »
Anyone know the secret to making a car cover type tarp?
I've seen small ones like in a diorama.
I'm wanting to try to make a car cover.........

Think I've heard tissue and brushing on watered down Elmer's glue.

Any thoughts?

Lefturns75

Re: Anyone ever make a tarp?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
I have made a couple.  Cover part or the entire model with some kitchen plastic wrap.  Find some paper towel or large tissue with the texture you want and soak it in a 50/50 water Elmo's glue mix.  Lay that wet mess on the plastic and fold and wrinkle like you wish.  When dry, paint and weather it like your eye see's it.  It will keep the shape of your project it covered and all other details when dry.  I did this mostly when I was doing the Military/Armor stuff but it works on the cars and other junk.  Play with it, it's not hard at all.

Hondo

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:16:03 PM »
Sounds simple enough......... Gonna try it.
Thanks, Lefty !!

Marty W

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 03:30:37 AM »
I have had good results with baby wipes, and Mod Podge water based sealer/glue/finish.

Olderndirt

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »
This is the perfect recycling project. Think used drier sheets. I mean, like what else are you going to use them for. Thinned white glue, and some plastic wrap to keep it from sticking to your model, and you’re good to go. I made a bed cover for a custom pickup out of it and it turned out pretty good. When it’s dry, paint it, and then dry brush it’s folds, and you’re done.
 Another seldom used material is used tea bags. For small pieces of canvas it work great. Dry them, dip them in the glue water mixture, and drape. They look pretty much like old dirty tan canvas. They make great “Desert Waterbags” for dioramas.

Olderndirt