Author Topic: John Birosh Modified  (Read 6206 times)

dirtmodwrench

John Birosh Modified
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »
So watching Mr. Bogard start his "weird and wonderful" Pacer bodied mod got me all geeked up to get started on a build of my own.  This car was one of the first mods I helped John and car owner Ken Doucette build and crew on.  We ran upstate NY dirt tracks; Canandaigua Speedway every Saturday and Rolling Wheels Raceway on Fridays whenever they ran.  I'm building the chassis from Evergreen; Big Donkey body; big block Chevy engine; quick change rear; old 40's Ford front axle; still figuring out the wheels and tires.  First pic is an old photo of the actual car.
IMG_2140 by Mark Shea, on Flickr  IMG_2137 by Mark Shea, on Flickr  IMG_2118 by Mark Shea, on Flickr  IMG_2119 by Mark Shea, on Flickr  IMG_2136 by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Dirtman

Re: John Birosh Modified
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:10:45 PM »
Darned good start!!

Rett

Bob P.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:44:59 PM »
Great start and I love replica builds. I can't wait to see it finished. Keeps us posted on your progress.

Bob

David Bogard

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 03:33:08 PM »
Yes, Yes, Yes. . . a hundred times Yes!! There are a lot of interesting little details on this thing too like the mud flaps, the hood and the exhaust! Terrific subject matter! Do you have a side shot of the wheels/rims? I might be able to help with that.

And by the way DMW, I got my body parts and decals back from Greg yesterday so watch for the Dave Kneisel Pacer. It should be rolling out in a week or two!!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »
I looked through some more old photos over the weekend to see if I had a clear side shot.  Couldn't put my hands on one, although I know there are several that we took of the finished car.  I'm going to check with my brother on Thursday, as he may have a bunch of those pics in an album stored at his place.

Can't wait to see the finished Pacer.  While I was searching through my old photos, I came across a picture of Dave's Pacer mod parked next to us in the pits at Canandaigua. I think it was the '79 season.

Just curious, is Greg in Update NY somewhere?  I saw his name listed as the decal provider on a couple of build description sheets at a model car show I went to yesterday.  The show was outside of Syracuse.

Nydirtracer

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 07:11:40 PM »
I wish I saw this before I went to Fulton yesterday. Greg did the decals for me on my 83 street stock. Would have been nice to meet up. John was always one of my favorite modified & sprint car drivers

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »
I've been trying to pick away at this build.  Was trying to finish up the fab work on the chassis and dropped it on the concrete basement floor.  The floor won  >:(. It broke one of the main roll cage loops in a spot where I couldn't repair it.  Back to square one.  I decided to build a jig to improve the rigidity and make it more uniform.  I got a little time today and created the jig.

Mod chassis jig by Mark Shea, on Flickr

I was able to knock out one side of the new frame.  I like it better than the original attempt. Maybe it will get me going in the right direction and I can finally make some real progress on this build.
Frame after jig by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Swindell tires and frame mock up by Mark Shea, on Flickr

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 07:15:42 AM »
Check out Ron Coon Resins for wheels and tires. His stuff is great and will go with this build perfectly.

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 11:16:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I've seen his name mentioned a couple of times, will definitely check out his products.  I have Larry at Big Donkey making up a set of wheels and tires for this car. 

Marty W

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 03:29:29 PM »
Looking good, Mark!

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 08:42:06 PM »
Thanks David and Marty.  I'm going to try and keep the focus on getting the two frame sides upright and tied together this week, and then start hanging the suspension on it.

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 09:15:09 PM »
Posting an update on this build.  I failed to heed the old adage "measure twice, cut once."  Actually my measurements were spot on, but I used the wrong reference point on my little jig and ended up with a "tall cage" car by mistake.  When I got the frame rails tied together and mocked up the body, something looked really goofy.  Turns out my little error was off by about 1/2 inch, which is a foot in the 1:1 world. Sooo, back to to raw Evergreen and another new start on the jig.  We've made good progress on the "real" race car over the past couple of weeks, so I had some time this weekend to start a new frame for this project. I like the look of this one.  Next step is elbow bars and halo bar over the driver, then hanging the suspension.

Chassis #3 by Mark Shea, on Flickr

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 09:18:25 PM »
Couple more build pics

Mod Frame by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Frame side view by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Frame on jig by Mark Shea, on Flickr

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 12:23:11 PM »
Finally getting time to revisit some stalled build projects and pulling this one towards the front of the work bench. Just a mock up with the body on it. Will get the front end and running gear secured and then commence on the body surgery.
Cuda body by Mark Shea, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 12:25:41 PM by dirtmodwrench »

David Bogard

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »
This is looking really good and I can "see" it. Terrific!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/