Author Topic: One of my Other Interests  (Read 1909 times)

john2

One of my Other Interests
« on: June 11, 2017, 06:08:47 AM »
Went to the Fly In yesterday at Harrell Field, north of Pelahatchie.  This is a Steen Skybolt.

Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: One of my Other Interests
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 02:37:45 PM »
That sure is a beautiful biplane, John!!!  I used to go to flyins and air shows quite a bit in my younger days as did my dad when he was alive.  Do you have very many flyins in your area???  I used to love going real early and having breakfast at the airfield.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

john2

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
 :)  Not many, Greg, at least close by.  This one is twice a year, June and November, a grass field, and about 25 miles away.  It is a small club called the Central Mississippi Light Flyers, and we have been going for close to 7 years I guess.  They have ultra lights, sailplanes, homebuilts, antiques, classics, biplanes, and other small civil aircraft.  Occasionally a war bird.  Usually 35 or so show up.  They ride kids for free, and have a chicken or fish lunch. 

I thought for several years I would take a sailplane ride, but that went away for awhile.  Now, I think in November I will see about one.  It won't be free, but that is ok.

Google CMLF, and you can check them out.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:13:03 PM »
Man John...that's a sweet looking Bi-Plane. I also really enjoy Planes with props on them. Bi-Planes are my favorites. I live about 25 miles south of Boeing field and they have a GREAT Museum up there. It's really cool to be able to see the original "RED BARN" drafting area where alot of the plans for those early planes were drawn up. There's also a small grass field up here near Buckley Wa. where they hold a flyin each year. Been to it once. Really enjoyed it. They had OLD Cars, Planes, Fire Trucks and a huge BBQ. ALL of the planes were of the prop variety of course. I was able to walk around and touch almost every plane that was there. The people were JUST Great...I almost got a ride in a PT-17 Army Air force Trainer...but..I was a little to late. They had to take off and head for their Barn. Maybe next yr...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 11:03:37 PM »
I checked out that website, John, and it's pretty neat!!!  Looks like all those guys are having a blast with their hobby!!! gb🤗👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky