Author Topic: '36 Chevy Coupe Modified  (Read 9186 times)

dirtmodwrench

'36 Chevy Coupe Modified
« on: April 20, 2019, 11:53:03 PM »
Been wanting to build an old school asphalt modified.  After looking at the frame I had in the parts box, I decided it needed a shorter wheelbase.  I removed a 1/2 inch to get the proportions looking right to me.  Scratch building a cage tonight.  I'll decide on driver/paint/decals as I get some more details knocked out on it. Comments welcome.

Mock up shot:  '36 Coupe mock up by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Before Frame Mods:  '36 Coupe before frame mods by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Another Mock up Shot:  Coupe LR View by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Frame Mod:  url=https://flic.kr/p/TsTTxw][/url]'36 Coupe frame by Mark Shea, on Flickr

john2

Re: '36 Chevy Coupe Modified
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 04:49:18 AM »
Looking good already.

Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

TarheelRick

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 06:39:39 AM »
Great start on that modified.  To me, these are "true" modifieds, followed by the Pinto/Vega era, at least they sort of resembled a manufactured vehicle. 
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 09:01:14 AM »
What's happening? Are you taking a section out? I've never built one. So just wondering. Wheelbase too long maybe?

Tb

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »
I do the same with those chassis. Too long and engine is too far forward to my eye! Good job, so far!

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 12:07:41 PM »
TB - Yes, I took about 1/2 inch out of the frame.  The way they come in a kit, the frame wheelbase scales out to about 115 inches, and like Slim mentioned, the engine sits way too far forward.  To my eye, a wheelbase between 100 - 105 looks right and sets the engine back the way I remember these cars running up here in New York.

Mark

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 12:34:07 AM »
Grabbed this one off the back burner after nearly a year and made a roll cage.
Coupe Cage Fab by Mark Shea, on Flickr
'36 Coupe Roll Cage by Mark Shea, on Flickr
More cage work by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Dirtman

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 07:55:13 AM »
Being from the midwest, what I know about these particular cars, is what I read about in Open Wheel. Therefore I am not into them enough to know about shortening the wheelbase. I'll have to use your pics and try one sometime. Always thought they were awesome looking race cars. Also, I don't consider myself as much of a fabricator.

Rett

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 01:16:14 PM »
Looking awesome!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Olderndirt

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 09:46:37 PM »
 I really like where this is going. I love old mods like this one. The little body line above the door hinge indicates the body is a ‘37 though.

Olderndirt

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 10:27:57 PM »
Thanks for note on the body. I'll have to dig out the original box, it said it was a '36. Either way I'm making progress and am pleased with how it's looking.  I hung a few more bars on the frame after dinner today and also fabbed up a fuel cell. Deciding if I want to leave the a-frames on the front end or cut them off and make it a "Flemke-style."  If I decide to go that route I need to find an old dropped axle and wishbones. 

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »
Hit the cellar today and hung some front end bars, made a frame for the fuel cell and made a few shocks. Need to hang the rear shocks and then can start on the body work.
Left side by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Front end by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Coupe Rear by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Rear view by Mark Shea, on Flickr
test by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Bob P.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 09:19:36 PM »
Really looking good, some really nice fab work there.

Bob

Fordguy01

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 11:33:05 PM »
Great start on the modified.  If you decide to go the Flemke-style route on the front end you can use the dropped front axle/spring from one of the 37 Ford kits as it will drop right on the existing front crossmember.  Simply remove the upper A-arms, flatten the top of the spring and fabricate some shock towers unless you are going to double shock it.  Hope this helps.

Al

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 12:19:57 AM »
Bob - Thanks for the feedback. I'm following you Boops build and really like what you've done so far on that one. I need to study your roll cage modifications as I have 2-3 builds from that era in my head and the Gambler kit chassis won't cut it.

Fordguy - Appreciate the tip on the '37 axle. I'm going to build an Evans Pinto and will save the Flemke set up for that car. I'm going to cheat a little on this coupe and run shocks and a-frames without coil springs on the front.