Author Topic: Detailing the Ron Coon Resins W-8 backing plate & SP-1 spindle  (Read 1234 times)

Brian Conn

• Topeka, Ks. (insert joke here)
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
  Recently I purchased from Ron Coon Resins the backing plates,rotors w/ calipers and spindles to re-work the front end on my latest project .
  I wanted to try something different and change up the appearance of the backing plate and spindle...there is absolutely nothing wrong with how they look, I just want to go with something a little more unique.
  These three pieces fit together perfectly, taking a lot of the guess work out of trying to make a front suspension look right.

This is what I will be working with.  From Left to Right...W-8 Backing plate,HB-9 rotor with performance caliper insert and SP-1 Spindle. 

The W-8 Backing plate has a recessed area in the center of the hub which makes it easy to drill thru for the SP-1 spindle to mount to.

Used the digital caliper to get the measurement across spindle....used a pin vise drill bit that was slightly larger to drill thru the W-8 baking plate center.  You could also eye ball it if you don't have any calipers.

I wanted to go with a different look on the spindle. Looking from the side, I simply removed enough material to give it a flatter appearance. The side that still has the curve in it is now the rear side of the spindle , the flat side is the front. 

The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Brian Conn

Re: Detailing the Ron Coon Resins W-8 backing plate & SP-1 spindle
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 06:26:05 PM »

I slightly beveled the block portion of the spindle to change its look.

I want to change the look of the W-8 backing plate by removing a portion of the center hub that mounts to the SP-1 Spindle. I want the spindle to sit closer to the brake caliper.

I removed enough of the center hub of the W-8 backing plate to get the SP-1 spindle where I want it.

Brian Conn

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 06:29:55 PM »

Here is a front side view of the completed assembly.

Here is the side view of the assembly.  Flat side of the spindle towards the front.  This will be connected to a manual rack & pinion set up. 

This is the rear view of the assembly.  I will paint the hub portion of the backing plate and the spindle a Flat Black to give the appearance of one piece.  The rest of the backing plate will be the same color as the wide 5 wheel, Aluminum.  Flat Black for the caliper and a Metallic Steel color for the rotor.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:03:00 PM by Brian Conn »

Brian Conn

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 11:49:10 AM »
    Here's what I did to the W-8 Backing plate to make it work with a deep wide 5 wheel and a normal width tire. I would do this where I want to use wide 5 wheels with some 8" scale width tires.

These wide 5's are not real deep nor real shallow...the tires are regular width,stock kit tires.

The first order of business was to cut down the width of the backing plate to 2.47mm or just under 2 1/2 scale inches.  Any more than this and your starting to get into the center hub.

Kind of hard to tell from this angle, but the width of the backing plate and wheel match the width needed for the tire. 

With the wide 5 wheel seated in place , the backing plate mates up to the tire perfectly.

With one of the backing plates, I did cut it down more than I should of which resulted in the hub being unstable.  To remedy this, I ran bead of CA around the hub which reinforced it enough to prevent it from separating from the rest of the backing plate.     

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:37:35 PM by Brian Conn »

RCR

• Ron Coon Resins
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 08:32:29 PM »
Cool!