Author Topic: John Horak's 70 Chevelle semi-replica  (Read 14559 times)

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: John Horak's 70 Chevelle semi-replica
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2019, 01:19:51 AM »
Thanks Brian, the old pre Camaro cars were some of my favorites! To me they represent a time when almost anybody could get involved and cars and parts were relatively cheap and easy to find!!!  Salvage yards were the racers friend!!!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »
The guys and me at the speedshop have been working on a couple of non race projects for some winter/spring 2020 contests so we've kind of been slacking here on the Chevelle as of late...we were back to the Chevelle yesterday and worked on engine set back.  Had to modify the front crossmember and oil pan and build a new motor mount and shorter driveshaft...mission accomplished and completed.  Next we'llbe working on the rear suspension installing springs and shocks and looking at fabbing a fuel cell.  Thanks for looking and as always comments, questions and critiques are welcome here at my shop!!

Modified front crossmember and oil pan
New drivshaft made, new reinforcements for leaf spring install welded in
Stock engine position in frame
Engine is now set back into new final position and new Ron Coon Resins Dual master cylinder installed!!!  Very nicely done master cylinder!!!  4777 Holley carburetor from Fireball Modelworks test fit to the manifold, SWEET!!!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:02:52 PM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2019, 01:45:48 AM »
Rear springs are installed and don't attach to rear end...a few more pix of last nights work at the speedshop.

The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 09:06:33 PM »
   I really like what you where able to accomplish with the rear axle assembly detail......hiding the kit rear axle mounting points with the quick change rear end and leafs.....always on the look out for ways to add simple detail to a build to enhance the WOW factor.     
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »
I’m glad you’re getting some ideas from this build, Brian!  I’m trying learn how to get some decent detail into a simple kit without bogging myself down to the point of losing interest and not finishing anything.  The Big Donkey leaf springs really worked out great with this style chassis and are easy to work with.  I ended up heating the resin a slight bit and dearching them a considerable amount...so far this build has been a blast and it’s getting closer to paint ever so quickly.🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Marty W

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2019, 02:44:34 AM »
Looking very good, Greg!

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2019, 06:17:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys!  So far it’s lots of fun building this Chevelle and getting my skills revived!  These simpler kits are entertaining my interest very well for now!  Shouldn’t be long that we’re going to be getting ready for paint!  Frieden’s shop...not quite but I wish!  I’m in Alabama for a funeral but have some pictures I may try to post later tonight.  Probably back to the Chevelle by the first of next week...🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2019, 11:05:08 PM »
I’m home from ‘Bama and i have a couple of pictures I didn’t get up here before my trip.  Started a fuel cell and front hoop!  Will need to finish them up and get a shifter mounted and I will be nearly ready for paint...I think the details are pretty much there that I’m going to do without getting too deep on this one.  Thanks for looking, gentlemen!!!

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted

Hosted on Fotki
Modified kit headers

on Fotki
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:27:00 PM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Brian Conn

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 12:50:59 PM »
  What are you using for the rear shocks??  The shock mounts look clean where they attach......more than likely something else of yours I'll try and replicate in the future.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »
Hey Brian, the rear shocks are a piece of plastic tubing for the shock body and a length of brass rod that slides into the plastic tubing.  I drilled a hole in the floor pan to receive the tubing, bend an L bend in the brass rod, slip the tubing into the hole in the floor and adjust the brass rod to line up with the leaf spring and super glue the rod in place on the side of the spring.  Once the rod is set you can glue the tube from the top side of the floor pan.  Once the chassis is painted the shocks can be detail painted with chrome shock rods and whatever shock body color you like.  Very simple but I think they’ll look great when everything is painted and assembles.  Just trying an idea I had to keep it very simple so as not to get bogged down in too much detail and lose interest.  Give it a try...sure works for me!🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Brian Conn

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 03:58:47 PM »
  So something along the lines of K&S Brass rods and Evergreen tubing I take it?

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »
Exactly.  I’m using some black styrene tubing that I’ve had since the mid 80’s but the same as Evergreen.  Hey Brian, here is a shot of the top side of the chassis showing the unseen part of the shocks.

Hosted on Fotki
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:22:49 PM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2019, 09:55:48 PM »
A few more pictures...got to mount the radiator and make some hoses and get some paint on this ‘ole girl!!!

Hosted on Fotki
Front hoop done! Notice the square pads at the ends of the hoop!

Hosted on Fotki
Front hoop will glue to firewall with a dot of epoxy on each side of the car.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2019, 11:24:26 PM »
David, the interior will go into the body first and the chassis has a little forward and aft slop to it so my thought is that as I cement the chassis to the interior bucket and the front hoop to the firewall the epoxy will give me a few minutes or more to position everything just right.  I have some 30 minute epoxy from Bob Smith Industries that I really like. 🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 11:30:07 PM »
I hope I’m not boring everyone with too many pictures and updates because it seems to help me keep my focus on this build!  If so, please tell me to SHUT UP!!!

The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky