Author Topic: OctoberFest 2019 Build Progress Photos  (Read 19381 times)

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Re: OctoberFest 2019 Build Progress Photos
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 08:21:02 PM »
Hey Lefturns, I am noticing some very enticing builds in the background on some of your Progress Shots......
  Yea, I noticed what appears to be a Larry Phillips Corvair .....must of been what he beetled around Springfield in while running errands. :D
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Lefturns75

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 08:39:51 PM »
Hahaha!  No Brian, that is just a Yenko Stinger Corvair SCCA D/P race car.  I just "Borrowed" one of Larry's old sponsors.  The Yenko cars were blue/white and carried the number 75 so there is really no connection.   And David, I figured the Fonz figure fit the era of the Black Widow so I asked him to pose. 

Lefturns75

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 12:35:37 AM »
A little progress on the Kookie Contender.  My plan was to shoot on some blue like the box art but since this thing is molded in red, I shot it in Tamiya Pure Red.  Let that red plastic bleed through now!  I should have this mess completed tomorrow evening so I need to start thinking about the next kit but I don't have a clue as to what it will be but it will be a bigger scale.  My eyes, fingers and 1/32 scale don't play well together. 

Lefturns75

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 09:20:56 PM »
This was one crude little kit but then again it was made 55 years ago.   Since the interior has no detail other than a shifter and bomber steering wheel, I used the half cockpit cover.  It's cute, thats all I can say about it.  David, you hoped it got built so here you are

Gonna have to put the Fonz back in the box, he is starting to be a problem.

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 09:40:34 PM »
Hey Leftturns I finally got a chance to check out the finished pics of your Black Widow.  That's a cool looking build!  Nice job getting the first one done :D

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 09:52:21 PM »
I got the body panels painted tonight.  Tried a new brand of paint - Mission Models through the airbrush.  I really like it - lays down nice and levels out smooth as it dries. Plan to shoot their semi-gloss clear on the body parts tomorrow night.
Ramchargers body and top painted shot by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Ramchargers left body painted shot by Mark Shea, on Flickr

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2019, 10:41:20 PM »
David - Mission Models is a water-based acrylic.  They have their own thinner that activates the paint, and they also make a polyurethane mix additive that is optional.  I used the poly with the white for the body panels.  I think it acts as a leveling agent too.  I'm anxious to see how the semi-gloss clear looks over the paint.  I'll probably test it on a spoon before I hit the body with it.

The interior on your truck looks awesome.  Like the color combo!

Lefturns75

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 12:24:36 AM »
This is where I plan to go next.  Not sure I can get this one done by the time this gig ends but I'll give it a shot and hope the paint dries soon enough.  The last time I built this kit was sometime in the summer of 67 so maybe this time I can get it to look a little better.   I traded for this kit back in 95 or 96 so its time I built it I reckon. 

TarheelRick

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 07:15:02 AM »
Having the usual issues with the Hyundai.  Got a really nice shine with polishing the plastic and Future/Pledge/whatever it is this week.  Attempting to Molotow the chrome trim around the windows and the pen leaked a great big blob down the side of the car.  Interior is pretty much painted, although I have discovered my hands are not as steady as they used to be.  Will try to strip the body today and get another coat of clear on it.  Also discovered a couple more real faint mold lines on the rear corners.  Time is getting tight.  I have two funerals over the next two days, football Friday night, and a Tractor Show on Saturday morning, but I am determined to get this one finished somehow.  BTW, what is the recommended method of stripping Future?
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Dirtman

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 07:22:07 AM »
This was one crude little kit but then again it was made 55 years ago.   Since the interior has no detail other than a shifter and bomber steering wheel, I used the half cockpit cover.  It's cute, thats all I can say about it.  David, you hoped it got built so here you are

Gonna have to put the Fonz back in the box, he is starting to be a problem.

I'd say the bikini might be more of a problem than Fonz!!!!

Lefturns75

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2019, 09:02:01 PM »
David I think the woody was shot with Testors Wood for the base and dry-brushed in a combination of Tamiya flat earth and Testors Leather.  I think.  Durn it now you got me wondering, I can't remember for sure but that would be close.  That was one of the older releases from the 60's and the wood parts were molded in an un-convincing tan color so that helps the tone.  The woodgrain engraving was nice. 

bandit2026

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2019, 07:13:04 AM »
Put some pictures on here but still learning and they ended upon the wrong thread. Been struggling with the fit of that roof, soaking in hot water while taped in place and last night taped it in position then glued it on the inside and put a heavy weight on it overnight. Working on simple mods to the interior and have some detail painting for today.

Marty W

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2019, 04:04:45 PM »
I have started mine. I will get there, I swear! I have been taking a test for a job. I will post pics soon.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 06:08:21 PM »
Well, an hour or so into this build and she's up on wheels!!!  Darned near a miracle for this old fart, lol!!!

The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Lefturns75

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2019, 07:29:42 PM »
Got a little done on the Green Hornet.  I cobbled together the engine which looks nice so I broke down and threw some wires on it.  I thought it needed a little something extra since it is out in full view.  I got the seams sanded on the body and the chassis assembled with some Tamiya white primer and have chosen Bright Green Pearl for the color.  I am starting to worry about this one, not sure I can get this done by the dead line but I'll post what I have.  If I can get the paint to cure up pretty quick I should be ok.