Author Topic: OctoberFest 2019 Build Progress Photos  (Read 19326 times)

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: OctoberFest 2019 Build Progress Photos
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2019, 08:39:47 PM »
Body clean up wlell underway...lots of tiny divits to fix for a mild custom to look good!!!  I have not chosen a color yet but probobaly will have it nailed down and painted this weekend...

The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 08:48:38 PM »
WOW, y'all's projects are all looking fine!!!  David, your hood is looking real good and the colors are right on for your truck!!!  My only thought on the tailgate would be to put an oversize piece of baremetal over the letters and carefully cut them out and paint the letters and then remove the large piece of baremetal!!! Lot of work...
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Lefturns75

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2019, 08:58:19 PM »
David I have some Testors airbrush thinner but last time I used that stuff it took a month to dry.  I think I will do what I have done in the past and just thin it with plain old Lacquer thinner.  I have had better luck with that than the stuff made for testors paint.  I would use the Tamiya thinner but I am out. 

Lefturns75

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2019, 09:03:40 PM »
Nope, but I wish I did!

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2019, 09:51:34 PM »
David I have some Testors airbrush thinner but last time I used that stuff it took a month to dry.  I think I will do what I have done in the past and just thin it with plain old Lacquer thinner.  I have had better luck with that than the stuff made for testors paint.  I would use the Tamiya thinner but I am out.

I’m with you on the lacquer thinner!  Of everything I’ve tried I keep going back to cheap lacquer thinner for Testors enamels.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Marty W

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 01:58:59 AM »
That is some pretty good detail painting!

Marty W

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2019, 02:02:17 AM »
Pictures of the test? We could maybe collaborate on the answers with you! HA!! Looking forward to the Beetle!

I would show you pics, but I had to sign a non disclosure agreement. That's OK, though. It's an art test, and not a written one. I don't like written tests much.

Marty W

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
Thanks, David. I am also working on a short track t shirt design.

I like the diversity of the models in progress. Looking forward to the finished models!

Lefturns75

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2019, 07:44:08 PM »
I got some color slopped on this thing.  Interesting color bright green pearl, looks more like Jolly Rancher Apple Green.  Now I can finish up the chassis and get this thing on wheels.  I am not familiar with the Testors Colors By Boyd and this jar was more than a few years old so I wasn't sure how it would act with Lacquer thinner.  So far so good.
I shot this with my old badger 200 single action airbrush somewhere between 12 and 15 psi.  My next investment will be one of those gravity feed double action jobs.  I figure that one of those would be a lot easier to clean and this 200 is about 23 years old.  I would like to hear what you guys use and the pros and cons before I pop for one. 

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »
I shot this with my old badger 200 single action airbrush somewhere between 12 and 15 psi.  My next investment will be one of those gravity feed double action jobs.  I figure that one of those would be a lot easier to clean and this 200 is about 23 years old.  I would like to hear what you guys use and the pros and cons before I pop for one. 
  I shoot with a Paasche VL double action w/internal mix and absolutely love it......a gravity feed is nice and I'll probably get one some day just to have some depth on the bench when it comes to painting.
  I have my air brush and compressor dialed in so all that I have to do is attach the bottle with paint and turn the compressor on and shoot.  Clean up is as simple as shooting a full bottle of Xylene thru it..that's all.
  I decant from the rattle can into a bottle with out cutting it with thinner and shoot at 15 p.s.i
  I shot the current C.B.P Torino's body and interior/roll cage with the air brush and will get some progress pics posted this weekend.
  b.t.w I simply love that color of Green
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:52:13 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Lefturns75

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »
David that is a reflection.  If you look at it close, you will see it is the grill shell and engine which is sitting just below the body.

I have not built that truck kit but might have to pick one up since I have seen yours.  I heard some stories about the hood in the past but you beat that problem!  Nice, clean job on this but all your builds are crisp and clean.  I try but I'll admit, I still build Gloo-Bombs.   I try not to show em very often but they out number my nice ones. 

john2

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2019, 12:06:16 PM »
David,  I love those trucks, model, or 1:1.  I have built 3, and have another one going for a hauler.

And I had a 1:1 stepside many years ago.

There are quite a few around here at the car shows.

Yours is looking great.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:10:50 PM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »
The inspiration for my build!!!  My 57 Chevy is going to be painted Evening Orchid Metallic with Model Car World lacquer.
In primer...ready for light sand and paint!!!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:49:25 PM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2019, 08:00:04 PM »
  Making some progress....had to deal with another set back kit related.

Pretty much uneventful getting the interior and cage put together....cage doesn't exactly fit up to the interior of the roof like I would like it to, but due to the constraints of time, I don't have the option of fitting it up like it should.
  I got a bonus main cage with this kit...the other main cage has the front diagonal bars bent instead of straight like what is pictured.....it makes the cage look like the car has been rolled hard with the front portion of the roof making solid contact with something like the racing surface or wall bending the bars ::)

I was trying to stay away front scratch building as much as possible, but this kit dealt another set back.  The bolster for the seat is on the wrong side with the kit provided seat, so if anyone is building a Right hand drive stock car look me up, I have the seat you need.
  Had to find a seat that would fit between the door bars and drive shaft tunnel in my stash...this one fits with scratch build shoulder harnesses and lap belt.

Took 6 scales inches out of the fenders and hood and added a rear deck spoiler.  Shot decanted Testors Gloss Red thru a Paasche VL air brush.

Will have the interior completely done this evening (seat,shifter, steering, etc. etc) ....grill screen,bumpers and wheel/tires next
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:22:38 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Lefturns75

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2019, 09:02:15 PM »
Those old kit chassis are kind of a pain but you did that one up well Vrian.  I messed around with some of those later reissues and I'll tell ya, they were nasty.  Glad to see you beat it instead of it beating you.  Keep it up. 

Got my bomb up on wheels for a quick mock up.  I had some wheels and tires from an original Green Hornet but could only find the rears so I used em.  While trimming some globs of gloo off the wheels I was muttering to myself that I wish the kid that assembled this the first time would have known how to use glue.  It came to me that I was THAT kid 50 some years ago as these are parts from my original.  Nobody to blame but me.  I don't remember this kit being this fiddly to build years ago but I did not have stiff fingers then and my eyesight was 20/20.  I think a bat has better eyesight than I do.