Author Topic: OctoberFest 2019 Build Progress Photos  (Read 19374 times)

Lefturns75

Re: OctoberFest 2019 Build Progress Photos
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2019, 12:43:18 AM »
Think that one would be a little front heavy?  Hehe!  I take my hat off to you for getting that Hound of a kit together.  I would have had it back in the box after the first 20 minutes.  You not only built it, you did some extra body work to boot so a thumbs up for you.  Thanks for jumping in and building with us.  We will have to do some sort of gig like this again. 

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »
Wow, Brian, you’re a true builder and your be there done that skills really have shown on this build!!!  You’re a real Weekend Warrior for sure!!!  Glad to be in the company of all you guys!!!  We would make a heck of a team if we could all get together and build a real race car, Michael included, wouldn’t we!!!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2019, 10:46:48 PM »
  Thanks for the comments...much appreciated! :)
Think that one would be a little front heavy?  Hehe!  ......

Ya think?  I had the opportunity to pay homage to the last handful of big blocks that where still around here locally in 1984 with this build.  There where a couple of big block Chevelles, and a big block '69 Charger still bangin' around....by the mid 80's, rules pretty much had killed off the last of the dinosaurs ....either thru 8 1/2 pounds per cubic inch or smaller carbs.

We will have to do some sort of gig like this again.

I'd like to see another Octoberfest next year....In keeping with the German influence, I'd like to build something Ford style.  I have the Tamiya Ford Sierra XR-4i that I'd like to make into the short lived Mercury Merkur XR4Ti that was built at Fords Cologne Body & Assembly and sold here in the states from 1985 - 1989

Wow, Brian, you’re a true builder and your be there done that skills really have shown on this build!!!  You’re a real Weekend Warrior for sure!!!  Glad to be in the company of all you guys!!!  We would make a heck of a team if we could all get together and build a real race car, Michael included, wouldn’t we!!!

Thank you for your kind comments....
  The building talent here is some of the best around....I don't think you will find any thing like this on social media, to make it seamlessly work like it does with in this forum would be virtually impossible any where else.
  The team concept producing a 1:1 scale stock car would certainly be a force to be reckoned with at any level....it would not be a stretch to parlay what we have already done and will continue to do and improve upon into a real deal stock car....I think the only questions would be who would drive the thing??!!?? ???   

The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2019, 02:46:36 PM »
David, Tom and the rest of y'all that need a little push, GITR DUN!!!  i know you guys can do it!!!  Everyone has awesome looking projects !!!  Just to tease ya, my 57 Chevy is finished!!!  See pictures in the finished thread.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »
I have been dealing with one "twisted sister" today.  Trying to get this AA fueler done and it has been fighting me all the way.  I mocked up the front end last night and thought everything seemed to be in good shape.  Guess I was wrong, big time!! As I locked the body on and started gluing parts on to do the final assembly, everything is twisted and way off.  I guess if I was doing a dio and wanted the car to look like it was launching hard off the line this current look would fit the bill :o  Every time I make a tweak, something else goes wonky and tweaks the frame in a different place (or breaks the glue bond I've already applied).  I'm about ready to launch this thing on a 4 second run into the wall in my basement >:(  Think I'll grab my wife's hairdryer and see if I can apply heat to concentrated areas and coerce the frame and/or front axle to relax and have all 4 wheels on the ground.  I'm wide open to suggestions or other ideas.
Final assembly - twisted frame by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Lefturns75

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2019, 10:07:08 PM »
Ouch!  Nothing worse than something like that slapping you in the face right at the end.  Is the chassis twisted or the lower body?   Ya know, since its a closed body digger, I say do what ya gotta do to get it level and cover it up with the panels.  Nobody is gonna see in there anyway. 

RandB11

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »
I am.working.on it..Having internet connection problems.

RandB11

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2019, 09:42:40 AM »
Sorry to interrupt the discussion on the dragster , just trying to post something while the internet is working..
Turning out about the size of a Camaro..   
Rick :)

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2019, 08:03:13 PM »
That’s a pretty cool car 🚗 you’ve got going, Rick!!!  Can’t wait to see more!!!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

RandB11

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2019, 10:15:51 PM »
Thanks David, I have had a fit with internet connection today! I don't know what the problem is.  Well I I did get up on wheels.
Thanks
Rick :)

sentsat71

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2019, 08:20:16 AM »
WIP on my simple little build....

Ed K.

Marty W

« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2019, 02:48:25 AM »
Here is more progress on the Bug. It still needs a few details, like exhaust, nerf bars, body hardware, etc.
I hope to finish by the end of the week.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »
Very cool bug!!!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2019, 06:52:44 AM »
COOL lookin' bug!
Ed K.