Author Topic: Help meeeeeee!  (Read 3016 times)

AnnieG

Help meeeeeee!
« on: October 24, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »

What is causing this cracking on the top coat of my Volkswagen? I painted the body with two coats of Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint + Primer Gloss. The hood and trunk cover both had some of this cracking, so I removed all of the paint on these two pieces and started again. I painted the body with two coats of the same paint and had no problem.  It wasn't shiny enough for me, so I painted them all with Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear Enamel and this is what I got!

What is causing this and what can I do to fix it? (I'm about to go back to crocheting.)     

Lefturns75

Re: Help meeeeeee!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 06:18:27 PM »
I kinda think it might be your choice of paint.  I have painted a number of things metal and plastic with rust oleum and I got the same results you did.  I have also tried to shoot rust oleum crystal clear over a number of different paints and got that result.  I only use rust oleum to paint the lawn mower or attachments for the tractor and it does fine but I stick to Krylon for models if that is what I have and the only clear I will use is Testors or Tamiya TS-13.  I usually stick to model paints but will use automotive touch up paint for special colors.  Just be sure to use some automotive primer with it like duplicolor or something similar.   If you are unsure, test first, it saves a lot of crying later. 

Marty W

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 07:05:24 PM »
I agree. I only use rust oleum on metal stuff I don't care that much about. Like a shovel, wheelbarrow, or patio furniture. I think you would be better off with lacquers, IMO. Although it is more expensive, I use Tamiya model spray cans on just about every model. If I can't find the color I want, I will often use automotive touch up spray as well.

Tamiya dries fast, and is hard to mess up, unless you hold that button done and try to spray the heck out of something in one coat. Two or three light coats of the Tamiya, with a final, wetter coat should get the gloss look you are after.

OK, I lied. I have never painted any of my shovels. I just let 'em rust.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:14:20 PM by Marty W »

AnnieG

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 08:26:10 PM »
Wow, what an education!

It appears that I have selected the wrong paint (truth be told, I picked the paint because it was pretty--Pink Peony.  I know it's a girl thing.) AND wrong clear coat AND I did not let it dry long enough. Looks like it's back to the drawing board and the paint store. I'm not defeated yet.

Thank all of you for your help.  I'm sure I'll be asking for more help soon.   

Olderndirt

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »
 I use rustoleum when I can’t get automotive touch up paint. There’s no source close to where I live for hobby paint. Rustoleum will wrinkle if the first coat isn’t real dry. You can give it a second coat while the paint is still pretty wet, but you always run the risk of getting wrinkles. It will wrinkle if you apply the second coat too thick as well.

Olderndirt

Olderndirt

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 05:31:07 PM »
Forgot all about humidity, I haven’t been back East since ‘04. Yes, humidity can cause wrinkled paint as well. I’ve had less issues with wrinkling when I decant the paint into an airbrush, and shoot it on in light coats.

Olderndirt

AnnieG

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 07:57:55 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll get it right someday.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 07:46:45 PM »
Hello Anne!  Just wondering if you made any progress with your paint issue?
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

john2

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 08:13:26 AM »
Yes, Greg. I took all the paint off of the body and repainted it with Testors Extreme Lacquer color De Ja Blue. I purchased it from our local Hobby Lobby. They have a very limited colors from which to chose. It turned out great but it a far cry from the Pink Peony color I initially wanted.

I am in the process of removing the paint from the other small parts I had painted before I had the trouble with the wrinkling.  It has been rainy and cold here, so it might be a while before I get to painting the rest of the parts, but I will get it. 

Thanks to everyone for the support.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 05:00:52 PM »
Glad you’re making some progress and I understand the weather.  I was in Alabama for a funeral last week and it was very nice and very cool and wet.  I think it will be beautiful when you’re finished with it!  Looking forward to seeing it finished one day.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky