Author Topic: Junior Johnson  (Read 3167 times)

john2

Junior Johnson
« on: December 21, 2019, 06:55:26 AM »
has passed away.  He was was 88.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

Re: Junior Johnson
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 07:05:33 AM »
R.I.P. Junior..............
Ed K.

TarheelRick

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 07:54:51 AM »
I live 15 miles from his original race shops in Ingall Holler and got to visit them a couple of times over the years.  He brought his 65/6 (?) Banana Boat Galaxie for an American Legion baseball pregame show at our local High School.  Got to talk to him a few minutes and got a picture of the car and an autograph on a chewing gum wrapper.  The autograph has been long lost but I still have the picture somewhere.  Junior was an "innovator", some would call it cheater, but he got the job done.  May he RIP and a prayer for his wife and kids.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 01:52:23 PM »
Certainly a major loss to his racing friends and racing in general. R.I.P. Jr!

Rett

MarkJ

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 08:49:38 AM »
I saw him race in 1961 at Richmond when it was still dirt. His rooster tails were twice as big as the other competitors and his broadsliding through the turns was almost at a 90 degree angle. he led the whole thing until he finally killed the car . I think something in the front suspension broke or maybe he blew the engine. If I can ever find a 60 Pontiac kit I would like to do that car. I remember it being white but all the photos I have seen of his 60 Pontiacs show them to be red.