Author Topic: CBP '34 Ford Truck Build Photos here!  (Read 20568 times)

TarheelRick

Re: CBP '34 Ford Truck Build Photos here!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 06:50:45 AM »
Thought about doing that Rick but the battery box is molded in the way. I still might go that way but it looks pretty cool with the pipes showing when the car is upside down as it is. We'll see.

Slaps Forehead.  I am considering dual exhausts on mine also and now remember that was one issue that was causing me problems.  Maybe I should lay off the leftover chocolate candy from Christmas.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Lefturns75

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 08:58:08 AM »
Oh for the love of...........   The box is molded on in ONE spot.  You know how easy it is to cut the *!#@%*# thing off?  I thought you guys were modelers.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 12:37:31 AM »
I’ve got my exhaust figured out.  Will have to shorten the tailpipes and make a cool pair of exhaust tips but at least the worst is over.  Should be ready for primer and paint in the next couple of days.
Hosted on Fotki
Extra long Smitty’s, lol!!!
Hosted on Fotki
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

TarheelRick

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 06:27:59 AM »
Lefturns - I looked at redoing it last night because yes, (extremely talented modeler that I am), I could just cut the battery box off and make a new one. However, the big V8 that comes with the kit that I am using for this build does not lend itself very well to the exhaust I wanted if it has to sit on top of the frame, mostly because of where the radius rods are in comparison to the exhaust headers. I eventually stuck with my configuration. It looks better and it is actually cleaner (less bendy!) than trying to come back up and over the frame.

If you are using the T-Bird V-8, another reason for leaving the battery box alone is that you can claim a 12 volt conversion.  The spare battery in my kit is a 6 volt, which I don't really think would gee-haw too well with the big old Ford.

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 09:08:00 PM »
Got some bench time this weekend.  Z'd the rear frame, shortened the box and chopped the top.  After looking at this thread after I hacked up all that plastic, me thinks Mr. Birky and I are having similar visions, but his looks better than my current mock up!  I'm searching for a new wheel & tire combo, don't like the set I thought I was going to run with.
34 Ford frame by Mark Shea, on Flickr
34 Ford Z'd frame by Mark Shea, on Flickr
34 Ford cab and bed by Mark Shea, on Flickr

TarheelRick

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 06:27:58 AM »
I'm on a slight hold on mine.  I have cut out the plastic bed floor to replace it with real wood (I have ulterior motives).  Been looking for some scale 1 X 6" basswood, the smallest I can find is 2 X 6".  Don't really want to have to sand down the 2-by, but may have to.  I have some very wide stuff I could cut into planks, but would then lose the nice grain detail.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Marty W

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 05:19:57 PM »
I'm on a slight hold on mine.  I have cut out the plastic bed floor to replace it with real wood (I have ulterior motives).  Been looking for some scale 1 X 6" basswood, the smallest I can find is 2 X 6".  Don't really want to have to sand down the 2-by, but may have to.  I have some very wide stuff I could cut into planks, but would then lose the nice grain detail.  Anyone have any suggestions?

What thickness do you need? I have 1" wide by 3/16" thick. I also have 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 04:45:36 PM »
That’s a beautiful interior, David!!!  I really like the console!!!🏁🏁🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Marty W

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2020, 06:15:16 PM »
NICE!

TarheelRick

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 12:49:30 PM »

What thickness do you need? I have 1" wide by 3/16" thick. I also have 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick.
What I am looking for is something to represent a scale 1X6, which should scale out to around 1/32 x 1/4.  I have some 1/16 x 1/4, but it just looks too thick to be floor boards for a pickup.  Also have some sheet stock, it is about the correct thickness but is a couple inches wide.  I could cut it into planks, but it will not have the grain detail the narrower pieces have.  I checked one local Hobby Lobby and they didn't have anything that thin, hope to have a chance to visit another one a bit farther away in the next day or two.  If nothing else I will sand the pieces I have now down to a more representative thickness.

TarheelRick

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 07:46:29 AM »
David, thanks for those links.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »
Finally in primer and in the dehydrator to get the primer nice and dry!!! 
Hosted on Fotki
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2020, 06:09:55 PM »
Up on wheels and in color finally!
Hosted on Fotki
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Dirtman

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 09:02:53 AM »
Wow, that is looking good!

Rett

Dirtman

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 04:11:25 PM »
IMG_5242 by IMG_5245 by Rett Rundell, on Flickr://www.flickr.com/photos/153037413@N04/]Rett Rundell[/url], on FlickrIMG_5236 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5240 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5246 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5247 by Rett Rundell, on Flickr Finally got some pics and my computor straightened out. Just have to touch up the top chop, do the glass, tail lights, install the dash and hopefully be done.