Author Topic: CBP '34 Ford Truck Build Photos here!  (Read 20353 times)

Dirtman

Re: CBP '34 Ford Truck Build Photos here!
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 04:57:21 PM »
A suit case and 12-pack, I'm ready!

Rett

TonyK

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 08:42:42 AM »
That is so cool looking!

Dirtman

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 02:23:14 PM »
They are pretty cute when you see them like this!

Rett

Marty W

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »
Wow!, I am truly impressed with the fine looking, and diverse examples of this truck so far! Keep them coming!

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 08:10:10 PM »
WOW, Rett and David, you guys got some very kool stuff going!  I’m going a different direction with mine...I don’t like the way it looks with the hood and I’m not liking the flatly either.  Stay tuned, pics later tonight...maybe!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Dirtman

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2020, 10:01:34 PM »
WOW, Rett and David, you guys got some very kool stuff going!  I’m going a different direction with mine...I don’t like the way it looks with the hood and I’m not liking the flatly either.  Stay tuned, pics later tonight...maybe!

Waiting, waiting, waiting, oh hum......lol

Rett

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2020, 12:48:50 AM »
I did say later...maybe, lol!
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki https://public.fotki.com/bondoboy/1934-ford-pickup/1579238535188.html][/U

Hosted on Fotki
Zebrawood image from internet scaled down in paint program and printed on photo paper.  I cleared both sides of paper with decal bonder and glued into bed with clear parts glue.  Bed rails made from bare metaled strips of .020x.080 evergreen strip. 

RL]Hosted on Fotki
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:55:51 AM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2020, 08:00:55 AM »
All of these WIP's look GREAT!!!

With the way I've feeling....battling a cold, I have not been doing much of anything....including my plastic canvas projects.....

Question to David or anyone for that matter, Would the stake bed in the kit be too high for a towing set up? Not the one from the kit, but the one from the MPC Datsun Monster Truck. Have been toying with the idea of taking those parts, including emergency light bar and modifying that push "bumper" to fit the '34 Ford P/U...
have been toying with that idea even before the idea of the community build came up.....
TIA
Ed K.

Lefturns75

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2020, 09:51:03 AM »
Ed I see no reason why those parts would not work.  The wrecker boom/light bar was the same parts in the "Scavenger" kit which was just a stock height datsun pickup.  If you have those parts, mock up a build and give it a good eyeballing.  If it looks off to you, modify it and build on.  I think they would work just fine as is and might even look pretty cool in the stock 34 pickup bed.  Now if you have any doubts, just send those parts along to me, I'll use em!

TarheelRick

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2020, 12:47:58 PM »
I have been tinkering with my build over the past couple weeks.  Right now it is in red oxide primer.  I have started salting it, but think I may need to back off a bit, it seems a bit much.  I am also trying to weather the bed floorboards, this is the bottom and will be sanded to remove some of the darkness.

When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

sentsat71

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2020, 06:04:41 AM »
Lefturns75.....Couple of reasons why I bought the Monster truck version of that Scavenger kit was that I found one somewhere for around half price a couple of years ago, and 2, had hoped they had left the original 4WD parts in the kit, but, sadly they didn't. Then R2 goes way beyond in their backdating that kit when they went back to the original issue 2(?)n1 kit with nothing form the late '70's Scavenger release....had that kit back then, but it was one of the first "casualties" of my 1st move out of m 1st apartment, and 1st real purge....A lot of unpainted and mostly inherited builds were also left behind....Back then I had "envisioned" building that Scavenger kit to a wild sprint car push truck, Tow boom may  not have been very useful for picking up damaged sprints....But the big burnout hit............................
Ed K.

TarheelRick

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2020, 07:44:54 AM »
Really interesting technique Tarheel. What does the salt do?
David, I have read about this technique on other forums and have watched a couple of You Tube videos about it.  It goes something like this: paint the body with a rust colored primer (red oxide, etc.), once dry spritz it with water and salt it where there would be rust, varying the amount in different places.  Next, spray a lighter coat of gray primer over the salt, let it dry and repeat the process of salting.  Lastly paint the final body color and let it dry.  When it is completely dry, place it in a pan of water and using a toothbrush scrub all the salt off the body.  The result is a quite convincing rust weathered finish.  At least that is what You Tube shows.  I have the gray primer on now, it should be dry enough for the next layer of salt.  Then into the dehydrator, a final body color, back into the dehydrator, and a view of the results.  Fingers are crossed.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Olderndirt

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2020, 10:45:56 AM »
 A similar rusting technique is done with a little pinch of sponge, and white glue. The most important part is to seal the rust colors with a flat clear before you start washing off the white glue. I imaging the same might be true for the salt technique.

Olderndirt

Marty W

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2020, 02:01:25 PM »
I use that technique for the initial phase of weathering, although I just rub off the salt areas instead of using water. The idea is to salt some concentrated areas. You don't want it too uniform, or it won't look natural. Here is an example of the car right after I rubbed the salt off, and enhanced the rust effects with Tamiya Weathering kits.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 02:10:00 PM by Marty W »

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2020, 12:28:50 AM »
My 34 Ford pickup is finished, gentlemen!!!  Catch the finished pics in the finished thread!🏁🏁🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky