Author Topic: Paint Problems  (Read 2873 times)

ModelCarMan AKA Ricky

Paint Problems
« on: January 05, 2020, 08:16:42 AM »
I'm having problems making my paint jobs shine.  I'm using spay can paint with gloss but after it drys it's very flat.  HELP!!

ModelCarMan AKA Ricky

Re: Paint Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 08:52:23 AM »
Dupli-Color is the paint.  I use their primer also.  I also use 400 sandpaper on the model.

Lefturns75

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 09:13:15 AM »
MCM, some pics of your results would help with coming up with suggestions.  We could post up a dozen paragraphs of suggestions but not one of them may help until we can "See" your problems.  Experience is the best teacher and yes, it will require painting many kits and making many mistakes but that is part of this hobby.  If you dont make mistakes you wont learn anything so dont be afraid to barf up a kit.  Remember, what works for someone else may not work for you so experiment with what all the self-proclaimed experts tell you. 

ModelCarMan AKA Ricky

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 09:41:43 AM »
Here's what I painted so far on the model.  It's the interior of the car.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 02:07:31 PM »
  Been doing way more reading of reference material than building lately ::) someday I'll put it to good use on a build.

....Is that texture something that you want....part of the piece...if so your o.k, if not then the spray can is too far away and the paint is drying in the air before it makes it to the piece. 10" to 14" away is what your after. 
  To back up, if you want to get rid of what you have already done, just treat it like a primer coat and sand it smooth and start over.
  Another possibility could be that if you used a white or light gray primer that was not fully dried that it mixed with the blue which would have dulled the color.

Next time try warming the paint can......warming the paint can will help the paint flow once it reaches the model, producing a smoother finish.  Fill a container with warm water and place the can inside...the water should be around 100 degrees...hot tap water should be o.k  Do not heat the water or the spray paint on the stove or in the oven unless your looking for an explosive result.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

ModelCarMan AKA Ricky

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 03:52:22 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'll try some of these ideas and see how it goes! 

Marty W

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 06:07:47 PM »
I use Tamiya spray 90% of the time, because I it gives me the best results, even though it is among the most expensive.

ModelCarMan AKA Ricky

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I need to start using paint made for small size models and not for full size cars.