Fireball Roberts #11 Coupe update late Sunday night

Started by 421sd, August 09, 2020, 11:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

421sd

This old build was started back in 2015. Originally intended to be a ficticous build, I set it aside for other started projects. I really like 'em in the set up stage W.I.P. getting the stance established , so I often tend to set them aside for a while in case I decide to make major changes. Now before you men BUST MY CHOPS, Yes I know the real car was a '38 Ford coupe. Well we all know Karl Stark is out of the resin business except for himself. I didn't opt for the Monogram '37 Coupe because I prefer 1/25 scale. Just my preference. So................Just before the VIRUS showed up here in the USA, I saw the decals for this build on Evil Bay. I bought them and that's when I decided to finish this old girl. I researched this thing best I could and it seems Smokey Yunick built the car and the engine. Fireball ran this one early in his career on the dirt and at Daytona. I used an AMT '49 Merc FLATHEAD with aftermarket heads, manifold and carbs from Norm Vaber's REPLICAS and MINATURES of Maryland. I made the headers from .062 solder and drilled the ends out. She rides on PPP resin wheels, and 1/24 Monogram passenger tires. I cut the stock center chunk out of the stock axle set up and installed an EARLY FRANKLIN quick change. The rollbar, bumpers and interior are all scratched from Evergreen. Hope I finally have figured out Flickr. I'm still a little unsure of myself . I welcome any correction on the history of the car.
  IMG_2313 by Mark Box, on FlickrIMG_2325 by Mark Box, on FlickrIMG_2356 by Mark Box, on FlickrIMG_2352 by Mark Box, on Flickr
Born in Nashville, Tn. grew up attending races at Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway.

Fordguy01

Great replica build very neat and clean.  Once you get flicker figured out how about a shot or two of the engine.

Al

421sd

Born in Nashville, Tn. grew up attending races at Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway.

Dirtman

Wow! I don't care if it's '38 or "39, this critter is cool. Great job!

Rett

421sd

Thanks Rett, thank you Ford Guy. I appreciate your interest and comments.

sentsat71

Ed K.

Fordguy01

That engine really pops shucks the whole car really pops.

Al

dirtmodwrench

Really nice work on this one! Like the stance, engine details and the decals.

421sd

john2

It's really nice Mark.  Good to see you posting again. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Olderndirt

Some of the first kits I built as a kid were the AMT '40 Fords. I loved them then, and as I am in the process of moving my model stuff into a new house, and have found more than a few long stalled projects using '40 Ford coupes, sedans, and sedan deliveries, as a starting point, I have to admit they are still a favored canvas to start a new project on.
This old racing coupe, really takes me back to the early days of dirt track racing in my home town. I love where this is going, keep us updated.

Olderndirt

421sd

hank you everybody.........I was absent a long time mainly because of Photobucket going away. Strange how I spliced copper cable and fiber optics , new construction and  maintence, areial and underground, for 44 years) and a photo program could be so challenging.
Last thing I ever want to be is a whinny butt, so I just laid low until I finally figured it out. I used the great instructions that were posted on here several times to no avail. Several intelligent people tried to assist me and I so appreciated the help. The light bulb just would not come on. Finally it turns out my laptop with Windows 10 (4 years old) needed a good laxative and updating, then all of a sudden it wasn't so hard after all. The instructions went well. I still may not be as active as some of you but I sure do enjoy the hobby and the friendships I have made thru this forum. Soon, I will post the tow truck for this old coupe over in another category, gotta go mow the grass!