Author Topic: ‘39 Ford dashboard  (Read 2656 times)

Olderndirt

‘39 Ford dashboard
« on: September 07, 2020, 10:44:43 AM »
 O.K. I finally took you guys advice and made a ‘39 dash out of the custom dash that came out of one of the ‘40 Ford kits. Now, I have no interest in making another one, but would like to model a couple more ‘39’s. I saw some stuff on YouTube called Blue Stuff and wondered if any of you have used it? And, does anybody know where I can get it on line?

Olderndirt

Olderndirt

Re: ‘39 Ford dashboard
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:41:49 PM »
 So, none of you have used “Blue Stuff” mold maker to duplicate small parts?

Olderndirt

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 02:02:14 PM »
Not me, but I will be looking into it!

Rett

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 04:33:34 PM »
You can order it from here.  http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/reusable-blue-stuff/8-blue-stuff-mold-8-bars.html  Also Amazon says they have it but... they have a lot of different choices of different types... Here's that link   https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Stuff/s?k=Blue+Stuff 
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Olderndirt

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 08:07:14 PM »
Hey Gary, have you ever used it? I saw a video on this stuff but the guy doing the video was Chinese and very hard to understand. I did see some similar stuff on Amazon, but not real “Blue Stuff”.

Olderndirt

Gary Davis

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 08:35:01 PM »
I haven't used it. I use smooth-on oomo for making molds. This blue stuff looks pretty easy to use. I don't think that it would work with resin though as resin get fairly warm with the chemical reaction when curing in the mold. In that first video the guy is using milliput. That don't get hot at all and it seems to work that way. I guess a person could mix (knead) milliput  for each part.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Olderndirt

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 07:07:20 AM »
 The video I saw didn’t mention any name brand or specific product, but what he was using looked like either Miliput,  or epoxy putty. I agree I think the heat from resin would melt the mold.

Olderndirt

Gary Davis

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 01:14:13 PM »
If you click on the first link in that post ( the Green stuff link) it takes you to their site and scroll down to three video tutorials on three different molding styles. In the first one here does show that he's using miliput. In fact all three videos he uses it.

Olderndirt

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 07:27:15 PM »
 I’ve never used Miliput, what is it like? I live a good long distance from any hobby store, so much of the stuff I use is not specifically designed for models. I use two part polyester spotting glaze from the auto paint store, and automotive touch up paint a lot.
 The only parts I’ve molded were cast in a clay mold using devolved sprue.

Olderndirt

Gary Davis

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 07:32:24 PM »
It's not really difficult to use. just mix A & B together by kneading well and press it in the mold. It can be smoothed out using water. Like the guy did in the first Video. Once it dries...it's hard as Supermans' Knee cap!

Olderndirt

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 08:44:30 AM »
 Thanks Gary, I’m ordering some. There are a lot of small parts that are peculiar to one or two old kits, that I like to use, and you can’t be sure the model companies will keep producing them. Time to start making my own I guess.

Olderndirt