Author Topic: 1991 nascar olds wips  (Read 7623 times)

Olderndirt

Re: 1991 nascar olds wips
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 07:47:44 PM »
So Mark, are those cool wrapped headers from the Ford kit, or the Olds kit?

Olderndirt

MarkJ

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 08:01:45 AM »
Most people who look at it won't even notice. At least not right away.  I mean who would put a ford engine in an olds race car?
LOL...Smokey Unick

Gary, did he actually do that? If so I need details.

MarkJ

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 08:08:38 AM »
So Mark, are those cool wrapped headers from the Ford kit, or the Olds kit?

Olderndirt

Older, The headers and everything else you see on the engine are from the ford kit. Except for the valve covers. I made them from scratch. Its weird, the ford engine fit like a glove in the olds chassis without any modifications. I have a feeling all these old kits shared the same chassis, whether it be a Ford, Chevy, Olds or Pontiac.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
.................. Its weird, the ford engine fit like a glove in the olds chassis without any modifications. I have a feeling all these old kits shared the same chassis, whether it be a Ford, Chevy, Olds or Pontiac.
   I thought that the kit chassis were either the Ford style rear steer Banjo Matthews chassis or Chevy style Front steer Mike Laughlin chassis with the steering linkages, lower control arms and steering gear box placement being  the only differences....so in theory, yes, correctly placing a Ford in a Laughlin chassis or a Chevy in a Banjo chassis will work.     
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 03:46:31 PM »
Most people who look at it won't even notice. At least not right away.  I mean who would put a ford engine in an olds race car?
LOL...Smokey Unick

Hey Mark.....I don't know if he Actually did that or not. That man built a load of different type of Race cars and using anything that he could by either making it or buying it. Mostly he made his own stuff. I wouldn't put anything past that Man. I bought his 3 book History (BIO) that he wrote and I'll tell ya...He had done a whole boat load of things in his life that most folks only accomplish 1 or 2 major things in a span of a 80yr span. The man was a thinker and doer for sure.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 05:07:41 PM »
I believe the chassis might be done except for a little touch up here and there. I painted the body today with some nice low humidity and it came out pretty good, I think. Wont know till I check it with my glasses on. Still need to dechrome the wheels and paint them black and install the tires and decal them. I'm probably going to have to wait a week till I can handle the body. it takes the paint that long to dry . It says fast drying on the can , but that's a joke.

MarkJ

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2020, 05:16:39 PM »
LOL...Smokey Unick

Hey Mark.....I don't know if he Actually did that or not. That man built a load of different type of Race cars and using anything that he could by either making it or buying it. Mostly he made his own stuff. I wouldn't put anything past that Man. I bought his 3 book History (BIO) that he wrote and I'll tell ya...He had done a whole boat load of things in his life that most folks only accomplish 1 or 2 major things in a span of a 80yr span. The man was a thinker and doer for sure.

Yes, Gary. I'm a huge Smokey Yunick fan. I keep bugging the hall of fame installers like Kyle Petty,  via twitter, to vote him into the hall. He and the France family never got a long, so I doubt if its ever going to happen. But he should definitely be in the Nascar Hall of Fame. Just for his Southern 500 wins alone. And the 66 Chevelle that brought all those Chevy fans back to the track.

MarkJ

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2020, 05:09:58 PM »
Got the tires done . Still need to do the dime trick with some dullcote spray.

MarkJ

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2020, 04:55:55 PM »
The model is complete except for decals and hood and trunk pins. hopefully will start on those tomorrow. I always do the pins last because I always end up knocking them off when I'm decaling.

MarkJ

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2020, 10:52:12 AM »
Finally got it done. More pics in the Early grand national forum even though its not.

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 01:53:37 PM »
That really looks good Mark! Great job my friend...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
That really looks good Mark! Great job my friend...

Thanks  Gary, but after I had problems with the paint and the decals I kinda lost interest in trying to get the chassis to fit the body correctly and just kinda wanted to finish it and move on.