Author Topic: spray booth vent  (Read 2290 times)

Pikepole

spray booth vent
« on: November 07, 2020, 05:30:25 AM »
I would like to vent my paint booth into a 5gal bucket,do to no window to vent out side. What do you put into bucket to control smell and spray. Also does this bucket vent even work?        thank you for any info.on this subject.  this is my first spray booth.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Re: spray booth vent
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 08:30:47 AM »
...I would think that ,at some point, that you would have back pressure/ back flow thus defeating your intents.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

David Bogard

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 05:05:56 PM »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Pikepole

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 05:39:41 AM »

Thank you for  the info.

Brian Conn

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 12:11:00 PM »
.....After looking at what David posted, you might have some luck with this......
   Instead of pulling in fresh air with a bathroom exhaust fan, have a shop vac suck the air thru the filter.  Use charcoal filter material in the canister ....like you would use in an aquatic aquarium...fish, turtles, etc.....or place a charcoal filter over the exhaust port ...where the check valve/ball is located for wet vacuuming to prevent over filling....or use both.  I'm thinking that the charcoal material should absorb enough fumes so long as your not painting for long extended periods at once....as an example , spray your first coat, allow it to dry, shoot your second coat, allow it to dry, etc. etc.

David Bogard

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 11:01:07 PM »
That is exactly the principle Brian. A modeler friend made one using a round plastic trash can that is larger than the five gallon bucket but it works quite well. He has model painted in his garage for a few years and yet has one of his prized 1:1 classic cars in the same garage. Nothing harmful seems to escape the can.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Brian Conn

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 12:36:53 AM »
OOOPPPSS  :-[  Just figured out that I need scroll down to see the second page...my bad

I'll have to build one of these for indoor winter painting.

TarheelRick

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 08:52:33 AM »
David, thanks for those diagrams.  I have been trying to come up with some way to do this.  Several years ago a modeling magazine (may have been Rod & Custom Models) did an article on building this type contained spray booth, but they used water as a filter.  I tried that, but there is quite a bit of back pressure.  The oven hood fan I initially used would not push any air through at all unless the water just barely covered the end of the tube in the bucket.  I switched to an old vacuum cleaner motor and it blows water out of the vent holes.  This filter arrangement may be just what I am looking for. Still need to find a better exhaust fan, the vacuum motor is much too noisy.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.