Author Topic: Veterans Day rememberance  (Read 2642 times)

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Veterans Day rememberance
« on: November 11, 2020, 11:28:22 AM »
....From one Vet to others....
I served 7 years in the Kansas Army National Guard in the 714th Maintenance Ground Support, Power Generator Section ('89 - '96).
  All my missions during Operation Desert Storm (Saudi) where stateside prepping equipment (mostly trucks) for shipment by railhead to the Port of Galveston (Texas) and then modifying (Woodland camouflage really sticks out in the Desert :-[) , repairing, or salvaging useable parts upon their return a couple of years later.     

The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

TarheelRick

Re: Veterans Day rememberance
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 12:23:15 PM »
Thank you Brian.  To all my comrades, welcome home brothers and sisters; I salute each of you for your commitment to this great country called the United States of America. I spent a year in Thailand keeping F-4 Phantoms fixed and flying over Viet Nam and later 19 months in Korea keeping Little Kim's granddaddy in check.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

john2

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »
Thanks to all vets from another.    Air Force --  Texas, South Carolina, Alaska, Minnesota.  1962-1967. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

TarheelRick

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 07:39:50 AM »
John, I've been to three of those states Texas twice (Lackland for basic and later Carswell in Fort Worth) Shaw in South Carolina, and Shemya in Alaska (actually east Russia). Got cold enough in Alaska, followed up by Ohio, then Korea that I refused an assignment to North Dakota, about the same as Minnesota. Of course my career began in 1968, so you have a few years on me.

john2

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 10:35:47 AM »
Well, I went to East Russia also - NE Cape, off Nome.   40 below there, but we did not have to go outside, since all the buildings were connected by hallways. Duluth, MN was worse - had to drive in 25 below. 

Was at Donaldson - Greenville, SC,  for 4 months, as they decided to close it right after I got there, and they sent me to Charleston.  A dream for me.  NASCAR country.  A 25 year old lying on Folly Beach, listening on the radio and heard the awful Fireball Roberts tragedy.  Did see some great Carolina racing though, while there.

Almost 60 years ago.  Unbelievable. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

TarheelRick

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 07:59:46 AM »
Yeah the time passing is unbelievable.  It is hard to realize I will be retired for 31 years as of 1 December.

Fordguy01

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 12:48:25 PM »
I know I'm a couple days late but I just read this and I too want to sincerely thank all vets past and present for all they do/did for this wonderful nation.  I served in the USAF from 1970 to 1991.  Started at Kirtland AFB NM than to Naples Italy back to Ellsworth South Dakota than down here to Offutt AFB, than to Ramstein AB Germany than to my final duty assignment Fort Meade Maryland.  I was an office rat typing, filing, publications libraries etc., at Fort Meade I was with the Defense Courier Service our motto, "We'll lug your crap around the map".  Spent a day on the sand at Rhiahad Saudi Arabia with the DCS during Desert Shield.  Thanks again to all.

Al