Author Topic: Just sitting here....  (Read 3178 times)

sentsat71

Just sitting here....
« on: December 08, 2020, 06:54:37 AM »
and wondering what to do.....with my ever growing kit stash....

I really doubt I will ever really sit down and start building any of them.
There is NO strong desire to set at my work table and try and build. anything.

Heavy sigh............

Ed K.

TonyK

Re: Just sitting here....
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 07:12:54 AM »
Hmmmm I hate to hear this kind of thing from a model builder as it must be frustrating. Is it no motivation, don't know what to build, burned out?

I'm always looking for reasons to build a certain kit by looking at things. Whether it's while walking my dogs and seeing different vehicles on the road or watching car shows on tv or watching racing on tv..... Anything to keep the juices flowing.

I hope you suddenly get the drive back.

TarheelRick

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 08:02:30 AM »
Sort of understand that feeling.  I haven't been at my bench for 8-9 months and it now starting to get cold in the basement, so that will slow me down.  However I have installed two overhead heaters down there, just need to get them wired for 240. Since the passing of my wife back in August I have been trying to get myself back into some form of routine, and I have some ideas of how I might rearrange my work area to make it more efficient.  Maybe that will get the juices flowing.  One dilemma I am facing is how to heavily pare down my stash - over 200 kits and aging past having enough time to build , unless I do one per week.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

john2

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 10:23:38 AM »
Wish I knew what to tell you guys, but largest pile I ever had on hand was 35, and I have built them all but 3.  And I am going to piddle along with those  for the duration. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 08:15:45 AM »
Tony K,
When I look at kits on Model Roundup and Spotlight Hobbies and one or two other sites, I usually have a kit in mind, but by the time I get it, IF i buy it, but the time it arrives, the reason for getting it "just isn't there" anymore...
The other "little" problem is no place to display them, IF i were to build them.

This is NOT the first time I have felt this way.....Even back in my heyday of buidling in the '70's I still would get burned out. A little over a year after getting my 1st apt/ in SoCal, I don't if i got burned out, or just couldn't find kits I wanted to build, Back then there were plenty of local type of hobby shops around. So, what did I do? Bought an HO scale train set...in late summer of 1974. Would spend time between the two hobbies. When I wasn't getting where I wanted to be with model railroading. Am sure I bought some model car kits and built them, around this time, I ventrued in to building some Military kits, mostly in 1/48th scale. Aurora was one of the companies that put out some decent kits in 1/48th. At the moment, I can't remember the company that had some real nice kits, complete with engines (at least jeeps and various trucks) Also built some Monogram 1/48 WWII aricraft. Their SBD Dauntless was a very nice kit, their F4U Corsair did not go together as well as the SBD. The Hellcat was even worse. Though not as detailed as the Monogram kits, Tried one AMT's 1/48 F4 Corsair, with the birdcage canopy. but the wheels were not retreactable like the Monogram kits, nor were the wings "foldable".  IIRC the SBD was the last one tossed out.

In 1978 sold my HO trains and went after some in N-scale. But within two years the interest dwindled.
Still occasionally but a car kit, modtty the AMT  Grant King sprint or supermod (back then, the sprint and supermod were separate kits)

Either Christmas of 1978 or '79, my brother introduced me to  Platercraft. No, not the making of them, but finding subjects I liked then buying them, prepping them, then paitning them. Back int the late 1970's and into the 1990's there were plenty stores that dealt with them in SoCal...and, even Florida, so that means that hobby was still around then. But that is one hobby that is not around any more....

Sometime in 1980, I found I had lost interest in building kits. I had plenty to work on, but just could not sit down and work on them.
Then came the move from my studio apartment to renting a room in a house, that all but killed my building models. Not to mention my first huge purge of builds and kits that were either started
or never started. Into the trash they went except for a few that i was not ready to toss. My 9 Gk sprints and 4 supermods, the Petty and Brooks MPC NASCAR builds and a few other kits.

After actually completing the 1st 2 Monogram Sprint kits, (Kinser and Swindell) and starting on other kits, I found it was not fun anymore...again....I wanted to sit out in the living room that i shared with my female roommate and her daughter. She had picked up working on counted cross stitch. I felt that was the way to go at the time. Plastic Canvas was thought of, but at the time my Mom and Sister-in-law worked with that. I rarely bought any books or kits where I did anything for me, they were to be Christmas gifts. 2 years later, I found that working with counted cross stitch took too long to complete, so I felt it was time to try plastic canvas. That was something I had to learn myself as my roommate did not know enough about it to be of any help for me. I soon found out that one could not match the colors that were pictured in the leaflets and bi monthly publications. Sometime in 1992/93 I started wondering if I could create some of my own designs. The first were of NASCAR, simple designs. but what helped was a 1/18th Petty Die-cast STP Pontiac,. Don't design or modify designs that I can see in my mind.
Even though there are not as many books/leaflets out there any more, I have more than enough in that stash, many I have not even tried. but still have them. which is probably a good thing, since the craft of working with plastic canvas is not all the popular anymore....

Would you believe that is the short (abridged?) story??? ::) ::) :)
Ed K.

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 08:23:53 AM »
Oh, keep an eye on the trading post section, as that will be where I start putting things up for sale..as to what those kits could be, not 100% sure what I'll start listing first.
Ed K.

Hondo

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:04:42 AM »
I hear ya on this Ed. Just counted my "stash."
I have 129 kits sealed or opened but complete to be built. Plus about a dozen started ones.
At the pace I'm going & my age, I'll never even come close to completing these.
(Plus, I recently sold about 35 kits to an online store)

With all the other time-taking events in life, I have decided that no matter how great a new kit is, I can't collect any more.

john2

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 01:47:49 PM »
Hondo  ----  And then, when you finally make that decision, people still give you stuff to build.  What a world.  lol

TonyK

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 03:34:07 PM »
Quite a history of hobbies you've got there "sentsat71" and I thank you for explaining it. I remember spending time on a 4' x 8' HO train layout. Years of fun creating it and figuring out all the wiring, etc. Problem was, once it was done I didn't get as much pleasure driving the trains around as I did building it.

I hope you wake up one day soon and suddenly get back into some hobby whatever it is.

john2

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 06:02:20 PM »
TK ---  building models is  like doing jigsaw puzzles ( which i enjoy ) as once the building is done, that's pretty much it.  For the past year or so, I have taken a couple off  the shelves from time to time and parked them in front of the tv to enjoy again.  Then, in a while get out another pair. 

sentsat71

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 06:13:36 AM »
Tony K.....Still mess around with my plastic canvas needlepoint.....something I can do while watching my DVD's....Some items I make for myself. Most times I do up a project that is to be given away, some as gifts, either Christmas, birthday, or just for the heck of it. Some of the latter I modified the design to fit the particular person...There was a time, once I got my PC, circa 1999, I found a program that I could put on the computer. I had more fun designing things that were never stitched up....But, alas, can't find a newer version of the program. But, before home computer, I was able to find back then, graph paper that I did those designs by hand drawing them.....

Oh....I probably have more magazines, leaflets, and 10-20 page books than I have kits.....though it could be close..... :) ;) ::)
Ed K.

Charlie.D

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 09:41:53 PM »
I've sitting in my model room. Plenty time for modeling since I'm disabily at time it's nice but at time it's not because I get bored with modeling so I go and play on the computer  for a while .Then I go back to the model room and look at all the unbuild models my wife and daughter know what to do with my kits and unbuilt kits. There has been tough times because of this stupid shoulder.
Charlie Daniel