Author Topic: Some sprint cars  (Read 2264 times)

dirtmodwrench

Some sprint cars
« on: December 28, 2020, 01:12:48 PM »
I have had zero bench time for a majority of this year. Since the pandemic hit in March been working 50-60 hours a week and have not been able to sneak any build time in. Decided to try and put a couple of the latest Revell sprint cars kits together and try a few aftermarket decal makers to create some World of Outlaw cars I have not seen done as scale models. My plan is to update a few features on the kit; try and reconfigure the chassis to a true downtube design, modify the top wing mounts, make bird cages to locate the rear end, and add some basic plumbing and wiring.
Sprint Cars by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Fordguy01

Re: Some sprint cars
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 04:22:50 PM »
Can't wait to see how they turn out.  I watch sprint cars weekly at Eagle Speedway although they are the 305 race saver cars. They are still very competitive and their lap times are nearing the 360's. Keep us posted and build on.

Al

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 07:36:05 AM »
dirtmodwrench, you have a PM....
Ed K.

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 08:50:05 AM »
Looking good so far.

Rett

john2

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 05:55:07 PM »
I love to build model sprint cars but am scared to watch them race. 

Good job. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 07:58:18 PM »
Was curious to see how much work it would take to convert a "standard" Revell chassis to a more current downtube type. The copyright date on the kit frame was 1987. I went to the Triple X (not for that you pervs!)Chassis website and used the schematic drawing to get the dimensions correct.
https://www.xxxraceco.com/images/chassis/chassis%20side%20schematic.jpg

Started with this......
Standard Sprint Car Frame by Mark Shea, on Flickr

After removing the old upper frame rails and side bars in the cockpit and adding some Evergreen rod, we now have this....
Converted to downtube frame by Mark Shea, on Flickr

I'm pleased with the results so far. I've added upper crash bars to both sides of the roll cage and a seat mounting bar, waiting for the glue to dry. More Later.

Al, we have a local track here that runs the 305 sprints too. The top 5 drivers in that class are really good. A young female driver took the points title this year, a first for that track and the division. A second track is adding them next year, so teams will be able to run Friday and Saturday. Should boost the car counts.