Author Topic: Never know what one will find...  (Read 2280 times)

sentsat71

Never know what one will find...
« on: January 22, 2021, 06:28:39 AM »
Especially when one is not looking for them....

In my case, how about OLD instruction sheets.....

2 AMT 3in1 1932 Ford V-8 Coupe....both say Trophy Series.no years listed, but one as mailing address of 1225 e. Maple Road, Trooy, MI and he other has Box 400 Troy,MI, with zip codeBoth show options for the cycle fenders and the separate custom hood
One of those kits I "inherited" a built version from my oldest brother when he joined the Navy in 1964, the other I bought somewhere between 1965 & 1968 which would have been the 1st(?) reissue of this kit. If I bought one after that time period, it would have been around 1985-87, never finished....still running around somewhere....That one and a few others that I have bought, mostly since 2006, do not have the cycle fenders and custom hood...

Another instruction sheet that has survived, though my other brother bought and built was the AMT '65 Bonneville Hardtop. As to what happened to this build, I don't know, but I most likely inherited it from my brother after he bought a new kit of something to build and thus was tired of this build.
Same goes for the AMT '66 Corvette Stingray also built by my brother and eventually ended up in my hands. it survived into the very early 1970's. it either met its fate before I left for Calif., or when I made my 1st trip back home in July '76

Now going further back,
Again, not a kit I bought, but eventually inherited from my brother...'
the AMT 1961 Ford F-100 P/U 3in1 kit: Stock;Service or Custom.
My brother built it as the service version. and once i inherited it, i did not change it.
And no, it is long gone as well, as are the '62 F-100 I got for my birthday in '63
My brother bought and built the '63 release that had the complete go-kart and camper shell. IIRC I inherited that one as well...'
NONE have survived.
Not to mention NONE were ever painted, literally built right out of the box.

Now for the real old instruction sheets dating back to 1956
Both from Revell
The M4 Sherman Tank
and
The 155mm Gun "Long Tom" and High Speed Tractor.
both were built by my oldest brother sometime prior to his high school graduation in 1960, as he never took these builds and 2 other military builds  he had built in addition to these two.
One was the Revell 6 wheeled armored car, with the machine gun ring/turret
The Revell kits were 1/35th scale
Oh, cost of the Long Tom kit back in 1956: $1.98.
He also built the Monogram armored half track with the anti-aircraft turret in the bed. This was in 1/32 scale.
Not sure when they "disapeared"
either arouhnd '71/'72 or as late as '76....

In mentioning the price of the one kit, one can imagine what it would cost today if ever reproduced...
Before I moved from Albuquerque, the LHS that i frequented had a decent selection of military kits, and back then all were at minimum $25 with quite a few up around and over $40 per kit. This was back when most model car kits were still UNDER $20!

just something to post here....
Ed K.