Author Topic: Dave Marcis Buick Regal  (Read 1940 times)

dirtmodwrench

Dave Marcis Buick Regal
« on: December 11, 2021, 05:11:06 PM »
Found an old Monogram Ronnie Bouchard kit at an antique store. Decals were toast and missing some parts, so it was cheap. Had it sitting on the dining room table (much to the chagrin of Mrs. Dirtmodwrench) and have been picking away at it as free time popped up. Perhaps a new strategy for me - pull some of the stalled dirt mods and sprint cars I really want to finish up from the basement so they are in my line of sight and do what I can vs. trying to set aside a chunk of time to build in the basement.

This is a basic build, nothing fancy. Did knock the rust off building something. I always rooted for Dave Marcis and I found a set of Lobo Graphix decals from the 1981 season with Army sponsorship he ran a couple of times that year. Body is painted with VHT Chevy Orange-Red Engine Enamel rattle can and Tamiya semi-gloss black for the hood and front fascia through an airbrush.
Marcis 71 Buick RF Quarter by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Marcis 71 Buick RR Quarter by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Marcis 71 Buick LF Quarter by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Marcis 71 Buick Left side by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Marcis 71 Engine Bay by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Fordguy01

Re: Dave Marcis Buick Regal
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 06:23:39 PM »
Great job dirtmodwrench sometimes these old built ups give us more problems than we would like.  None the less, great restoration of an old kit and Dave Marcis should be an icon in racing in general.  I watched him race weekly at Capitol Speedway in Oregon Wisc.  He ran a 57 Chevy 2 door HT and ran a 327...I think? car was painted a metallic blue wearing #2 on the side the car was known as the "Blue Deuce" Dave Marcis and Dick Trickle had some serious battles at that speedway and they were always fun to watch, you just never knew who was going to win Trickle running Fords and Mercury's and Marcis running Chevrolets. I can still see them going at it in my mind.  They both went on to race in NASCAR and BTW Dave Marcis was known for his racing shoes - Wing tips.  He also wore them in his shirt track races.  Again, great restoration!

Al 

john2

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 06:15:25 AM »
 :) Very nice.  Clean and straight forward.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Maineboy

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 08:40:37 AM »
Nice looking job. I just love those G-body cars that they produced. The look good on the street and great on the tracks. I once owned an Old Cutlass and always loved the styling. 

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

john2

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 09:55:30 AM »
 :) Mark, I identify with the words of your first paragraph,

We modelers are all getting older.  We know that.  The hobby itself finds itself later in its own life. 

Sometimes life blindsides us unexpectedly with change.  Sometimes for good -  sometimes not.  Eye sight, skills, patience, and energy  diminish.  It takes longer to do the daily things that we must. 

I agree with the " dining room table " approach.  I have always pretty much done one model at a time.  Fought them all the way to the end.  Now, I have several not completed, but when the stars all line  line  up, I piddle a bit with which ever one suits my fancy.  I may get some done and I may not.  Just doesn't seem so important any more, although I still need some diversion from a world gone crazy.

I really like your Buick. 

Bob P.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 04:07:15 PM »
Excellent build, nice work.

Bob

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 08:27:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, much appreciated.

Al - I bet Marcis and Trickle (and probably a host of other top-notch drivers) provided some spirited weekly competition that was worth the cost of admission!

Fordguy01

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 10:35:20 PM »
You're absolutely right about getting my money's worth and to add to that several of our local drivers were not afraid to step into the action and compete...they weren't afraid to get their fenders wrinkled either the locals always made it interesting.  Great, great racing!  The track was a 1/4-mile asphalt track with shallow banks.  Tight, tight racing but oh so fun!

Al

ARCA Guy

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 02:07:52 PM »
Very nice clean build. Marcis had all kinds of different cars throughout his career. Nice work on this replica!

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 10:30:15 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I like the cars that were not so well known and like you said, Marcis had quite a few throughout his Cup career.

john2

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 06:39:20 AM »
 :)  Thanks for this interesting topic.