Author Topic: non snow bunnies  (Read 2322 times)

jlhboys1969

non snow bunnies
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:20:13 PM »

For all of ya'll in the deep south who consider a spilled snow cone is a blizzard bundle up Here in Houston they are calling for 3-5" ( I know all of you yankees ) out there are laughing we aren't use to it . Houston gets snowfall every 5-10 years lol

Charlie.D

Re: non snow bunnies
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:29:19 PM »
They are talking about 4 to 6 inches here in Memphis Sunday though Monday
Charlie Daniel

john2

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 05:28:11 AM »
Unusually cold for us in Central Mississippi.  Looking for " something " Monday into Tuesday morning.  Freezing rain, sleet, ice, and/or snow. 

Had 2" or so, snow, 3 weeks back.  Gone pretty quickly,  but this one sounds more serious. We are pretty much hunkered down for the duration.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Hondo

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »
I know you "Northerners" will chuckle at us "Southerners".....

Here, just below Memphis it's been below freezing since Wednesday night. Not going to be above freezing until this coming Saturday.
Everything has been frozen since Thursday and it started snowing early this morning and is 14 degrees now. Snow/ice will continue until Tuesday night & again on Thursday.
"They" say possibly just shy of a foot of snow when it's done.

Just a bit different for us who don't see much "winter" weather.

So much for going to see the World of Outlaws sprint cars in Columbus, MS on Friday night.

Y'all stay safe out there.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 12:04:20 PM »
Yeah, you're right!! Even though Iowa isn't "North" compared to some folks....I'm thinking...8" of snow...hold my beer and watch this! Turn off the traction control and go nuts...haha. Woke up this morning and got a call to go fix some heat....only -9! Don't even need to warm the truck up today! Shovel carefully and don't hurt your backs!(seriously!)

tb

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 12:51:56 PM »
  This weather event affects quite a few of us here on the forums in one way or another...exceptions being those from the West coast and neighboring states and the Eastern seaboard. 
  This is from the National Weather Service as of Noon Central time 2-14-21

Those of us living in the Gray areas are dealing with a Wind Chill Warning....pretty dangerous wind chills in the 20 to 40 below zero wind chill values...10 minutes outside and any exposed skin starts to get frost bite.
  The Ark-La-Tex region is dealing with a Winter Storm Warning like they have not experienced in a very long time....heard on the radio yesterday (Friday) about a 100 plus vehicle, chain reaction crash in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that claimed around 6 lives and injured many more due to icing conditions on the highway.

It looks like we will be getting a break from these super cold temperatures next weekend as the forecasted high temps here locally will be in the 40's....but, as we see the cold air mass move out of the Midwest, it moves South Eastward

This image is dated 2-20 ......for those of you in the Southern states, if your not accustomed to temps. in the teens and single digits, get ready and be prepared.  For those of you up towards the Great Lakes it looks like its going to be the sub zero temps. like what is occurring now in the Dakotas.

Now for something on the lighter side......
   I feed the neighborhood tree rats...err, I mean Squirrels and birds....in the past few days I've put down just over a hundred pounds of feed.  In the last 15 years, 3 or 4 times, I have had enough (St. Louis) Cardinals and (Toronto) Blue Jays for a baseball game.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

john2

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 07:32:31 PM »
Hey, not only a racer, modeler, and weatherman, but a comedian  too.   :) :) :)

Thanks for the laugh.  This wx is really something.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:37:49 PM by john2 »

TonyK

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 08:44:20 AM »
In the Portland, Oregon area it's a destruction zone due to the ice storm. Not snow. Ice/freezing rain. Got our power back after 2 days and everywhere has downed trees. Our neighborhood streets no longer have trees along it. So much damage to our yard. Scary taking my dogs out in this so they can do their duty. Slipping on the ice and now it's above freezing so all the encrusted trees are shedding the ice and it's constantly crashing down on the house and in the yard. We have fir trees in the back.

I hope everyone comes out of this safely.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 10:46:35 PM »

For all of ya'll in the deep south who consider a spilled snow cone is a blizzard bundle up Here in Houston they are calling for 3-5" ( I know all of you yankees ) out there are laughing we aren't use to it . Houston gets snowfall every 5-10 years lol
  hopefully everything is O.K jlhboys1969....parts of Texas have been without power and/or water since the weekend......temps. as of this time (Wed. evening) have warmed up to the teens and twenty's in the Houston area.   
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

john2

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 07:43:03 AM »
Still a mess for us, but I am sure, not as bad as most places.