Author Topic: Tobias Modified Buildup  (Read 2812 times)

David Bogard

Tobias Modified Buildup
« on: March 05, 2021, 01:28:08 PM »
I have no idea yet where I am going with this but I have the basic frame locked down and a few other small parts started. Keep in mind that the instructions for the bars #60 and #61 in the kit are backwards, they actually should trade places. Also, take time with these frames and do the cross member and X cross member on the bottom first and let it dry. Just work your way through each part and make sure you keep things lined up as you go. Any Tobias build is all about the frame and if that's cockeyed then the build will never come out right.

I chopped the front off a Willys Coupe and I may use it although it might work better on a Slammer type chassis. We'll just tinker along and some vision will come into my mind as to where to take this.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:02:38 AM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

David Bogard

Re: Tobias Modified
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 03:47:20 PM »
I failed to mention that this frame and body were given to me by our friend, Marty from California! The frame was almost totally complete and the couple of small items that were not there were fun to make. Another cool part was that the body was just thrown in for fun. I am grateful for his help on this! Thank you Marty!

I cut off the back end and rebuilt it in order to shorten the rear. I also keep chopping away and fiddling with the old Willys body and cut off the rear fenders and then sliced the tail several places to get it formed downward into a much sharper bend. There is certainly a lot of bodywork left to do. I will lengthen the front of the frame next and I am starting to get some "idea' in my mind of where to take this. I am still not completely sure where I am going with it all but I am having fun just hacking and forming and "building something!"

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 03:50:38 PM by David Bogard »

David Bogard

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 02:05:38 PM »
Well, here we are a full 1/4" longer in front and I like it better. It is starting to find it's way a little bit more as I keep cutting and adding and fitting. Something will come out of it, just don't know what yet!

Michael F

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 04:20:43 PM »
David, i like your wip´s very much. One can imagine from start of building how cool it looks,
when it´s finished 8) 8)
Greetings from Germany!

john2

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 07:28:30 PM »
Looking good, David.

Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

David Bogard

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 01:50:44 PM »
Finally got the body where I wanted it. It's in primer and certainly has some smoothing to do but it is generally now cut up and pieced back together with a look I was after. I can now move on with building the bumpers and finalizing the roll cage. I changed the frame color since I think I will go with a different color scheme than I originally thought. Like I've said all along, I am just working through this thing as I go with no clear cut plan ahead of time. Sometimes those are the most fun; just start hacking and see what happens!

john2

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 08:11:59 AM »
 :) :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:47:26 AM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Marty W

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 12:02:59 AM »
Well, the parts obviously went to a good home. I knew you would come up with something really interesting! I love the stance you have going with it.

Dirtman

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 07:41:45 AM »
Well now, David. You are "hacking away" like I always do. Gee, wish mine turn out half as good as yours. I guess there's "hacking away" and my kind of "hacking away". LOL Anyway, this is beginning to look really cool!

Rett

David Bogard

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 02:27:36 PM »
Inching along. I've got some orange on the hood to paint and then come up with some decals. I am also tinkering with different rims and I find it amazing what the change from chrome rims to gold rims to black rims does to change the entire personality of the car. Next time you are mocking around on a race car build, take the time to fiddle with different rim colors and you will be shocked what it does!