Author Topic: what I workon  (Read 4092 times)

David Bogard

Re: what I workon
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 04:03:30 PM »
In my opinion, I would likely fatten that up and use at least #222 styrene; maybe even use .062 mm brass rod or some such thing. K & S makes all shapes and sizes of brass and aluminum rods and shapes. It will mostly be hidden behind your hubs and I would want it to be strong and not sag under weight. For instance, that Tobias Modified I currently have posted has brass spindles in my fabricated poseable steering. Just too little of a piece carrying too much to chance it otherwise for me. I would also direct you to a current thread Tom is working on and scroll down and look at his latest spindle fabrication. It's pretty compelling.

http://www.shorttrackmodels.com/index.php?topic=753.0

Hopefully DirtModWrench and some other builders will have some better input this.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 04:45:23 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Pikepole

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 08:15:21 PM »
thank you for your input

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 09:57:37 PM »
....Don't know if any of this will be of any help to you.  Looks like you already have the front suspension set up on at least one of the chassis.

I scratch built a set of offset upper and lower control arms to be resin cast....I used a few references to be sure and get the true and accurate measurements , angles, etc. etc. verses just taking a wild guess.
   Before I was able to do the first pour , I built a jig for the upper control arms to keep everything angled properly...the jig is a must, without one the results will ,more than likely, be less than desirable.
  Every thing pictured uses Evergreen plastic.  The round rod pieces on the upper control arms are Evergreen 221.

As far as spindles go.......
    David is absolutely correct on using K&S metal for the spindle.  As far as the diameter goes the tubing needs to fit tightly inside the wheel back.  If you decide to go with styrene plastic , make sure it fits tight as well into the wheel back and use solid rod, no tubing....I've carved on round sprew pieces to fab spindles as well.       
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Pikepole

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 10:11:31 AM »
The suspension I used on the one chassis came with the ASA kit I used.  I modified the chassis and added a scratch  cage. Your upper control arms are a big help. thank you

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 08:25:21 PM »
You may already have this figured out, but I took a couple of pics of the lower suspension parts as they are mounted on the car. These views are looking at the left front from behind the front end with the steering wheel cranked all the way to the right.
LF Lower Suspension by Mark Shea, on Flickr
LF Lower Suspension Close Up by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Pikepole

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 08:23:44 PM »
               Thank you dirtmodwrench for the pictures.