Author Topic: Paint issue, '36 Wild One modified  (Read 1823 times)

Volzfan59

Paint issue, '36 Wild One modified
« on: January 24, 2022, 04:35:44 PM »
As I've posted before, I'm returning to modeling after a 30 layoff. I painted and finished my 1964 Fairlane with no issues. Today, I started painting the above model. It almost seems like there is something keeping the paint from adhering on the floor pan, fuel cell, part of the frame and the engine block. Painting has stopped until I figure this one out. Is Round 2 using some sort of release agent on the molds now? Do I need to start washing the parts? This has never happened to me, even before I took time off.

As always, thanks for any help.
Steve Hutson
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

David Bogard

Re: Paint issue, '36 Wild One modified
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 05:30:06 PM »
Might want to give them a quick bath while the parts are still on the sprue trees. A good primer can help to.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 08:55:24 PM »
I watch some You tube videos on model car building. Many of the guys wash their styrene parts in "Simply Green" a standard household cleaner. Washes off any mold release. I have just found out that "Purple Power" another household cleaner is great for taking that kit "chrome" off of the plated parts. Just leave it in there for 2 or 3 days and chrome (actually thin aluminum plate) is gone. Wont hurt the styrene.

Good primers are great. Can enhance the final color a bit also. I have had a clash between a primer from one company and finish paint from another, had paint peel. But I use rattle cans a lot. If you used good model paint don't think you would have that problem.

Clean and prime is real good strategy.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Volzfan59

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 09:00:01 PM »
Thank you for the advice David and Maineboy. I'll give everything a bath tonight and pick up some primer tomorrow. I've never had anything like that happen before.

Thanks again,
Steve
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653