Author Topic: Man From UNCLE Spy Car  (Read 1794 times)

David Bogard

Man From UNCLE Spy Car
« on: April 21, 2021, 03:16:47 PM »
I always liked the old Man From U.N.C.L.E. tv show so I thought I would knock together the Super Spy car from that series. I mean what boy couldn't like Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin?  The fun ended there. This is the most ill-formed, ill-fitting and fiddly model car I have ever encountered. Apparently it's only purpose was to make the average modeler leave the hobby and do something else! I will paint the black stripe around the mid-section but for now, I just wanted to get a few photos and push it all out of the way! If you ever run across one of these, pay the seller a couple bucks to destroy it and in so doing, make the modeling world a safer place!

UPDATE - Okay, while doing my work here in the office today, instead of doodling on paper as I often do while I am on the phone, I took a black permanent magic marker and "painted" the belt molding. Okay, it looks better so now it is officially done; stashed far away; out of my sight!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:40:13 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

TarheelRick

Re: Man From UNCLE Spy Car
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 06:38:30 PM »
May be a nasty model, but looks likes a fairly nice set of wheels and tires.  Would fit pretty well on a mid/late 60's Pontiac.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 10:24:27 PM »
You made that ill fitting chunk of plastic look great!  Those old 60s kits were surely fiddly. I remember my brother Jim built an IMC Mustang II kit. Everything opened. I dont know how he did it. Cool build David!

Tb

David Bogard

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 10:43:35 PM »
Yeh, the doors do open but they are so fragile and held in place by the smallest little piece that I would only open them if someone paid me because I just know one of them would become dislodged! Just an awful design and not something that I wanted to spend the time to "re-design" just for the shelf (the very distant shelf on the bottom, back row!)

TonyK

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »
I'm glad to see one of these finished. I know exactly what you're talking about as I wanted to build this car but threw it back in the box and am very frustrated with it and that I wasted money buying it.

David Bogard

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 10:28:50 AM »
Well I'm glad to see someone else had contact with one of these mean-spirited kits! It is a real mess isn't it TonyK!!