Author Topic: 1963 Grand Sport Corvette driven by Roger Penske  (Read 2081 times)

MarkJ

1963 Grand Sport Corvette driven by Roger Penske
« on: May 20, 2021, 07:51:40 AM »
Finally finished after 231.5 hours . I always wanted to do this build since I was a 13 year old kid. I was into auto racing big time, and about the only source I had for news and pictures were magazines. I had a subscription to Sports Car Graphic, Motor Trend and Car and Driver. Whenever there was anything in a magazine about racing , I would cut it out and put the pictures and story in 2 scrap books. One for Stock car racing and one for Sports car racing and Indy cars. I still have the scrap books today but they are falling apart from age. I just happened to be thumbing through the sports car scrap book and spotted the story about Roger Penske's victory at the Nassau Tourist Trophy race in the Bahamas in 1964. His Grand Sport looked so awesome, I knew I had to finally build a replica of it. Turns out the race was a battle between him and Ken Miles of "Ford vs. Ferrari" fame. Mile's 390 Cobra could pull away from Penske in the straights but Penske's Grand sport would catch up in the turns. Miles Cobra finally blew up trying to stay ahead of the powerful and nimble Corvette. I  learned alot about the car. It had a 377 cubic inch all aluminum engine with 4 weber side draft carbs and hemi heads . It basically was a 327 stroked a quarter of an inch to get to 377. it pumped out 485 horsepower. This is an amt kit because I did not know there was a much better kit, until I started the build and was informed of this, so I had to do a lot of scratch building. The wip link is at the bottom of this page.

If you want to see the wip check out the link below
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/159051-1964-scca-corvette-wip/

Dirtman

Re: 1963 Grand Sport Corvette driven by Roger Penske
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:27:31 AM »
Beautiful! Very nice build.

Rett

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 10:30:43 AM »
All I can say is......

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed K.

David Bogard

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 10:48:52 PM »
Pretty nice build of an interesting and important race car Mark. Professional photography too!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »
Oh my goodness. Your scratch building skills never cease to amaze me. Would not have thought you started with the AMT kit!?!  If you all haven't,  you should click on his link to the work in progress. There are tidbits in there that everyone can use I'm sure. Excellent build Mark! Thanks for posting

Tim

MarkJ

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 08:24:04 AM »
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback.

BobD

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »
A lot of obvious effort put into this excellent build Mark! Love your bodywork.

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 01:02:59 PM »
An outstanding build Mark. Great fabwork.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 07:56:29 AM »
Thanks , Bob and Gary. It was mostly a fun build with a few headaches here and there.