Author Topic: Big Rig modeling  (Read 1798 times)

Maineboy

Big Rig modeling
« on: June 08, 2021, 08:33:27 AM »
Got myself back into model building about 2 yrs back. Looked at a lot of Youtube vids and decided I wanted to be a Big Rig modeller My youngest son is a driver and he inspired me a bit too. Autocar tractor from late 60's or so. The trailer is from a later era, 1980's. Got another trailer I am building that is period correct for the Autocar.  These things are big and take some time. This one took me around a year.

DSCF0006 (1) by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

DSCF0010 (1) by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

DSCF0012 (1) by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

These things take more work, more paint and more time. Fun build but got other better stuff to do at the moment.
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

David Bogard

Re: Big Rig modeling
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 11:08:03 AM »
Very impressive work and a lot of nice detail. Did you have the decals custom-made?
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 11:51:12 AM »
WOW!!!

VERY NICE  build!!!!!
Ed K.

Maineboy

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 07:10:16 PM »
....."Very impressive work and a lot of nice detail. Did you have the decals custom-made?".....

Thanks for the nice comment. Yes they are custom made, on order, from his regular inventory files, or he will make custom ones for truck companies he does not already have. Very nice people to deal with. I think he would make decals for about any model on request. He goes to great lengths to maintain historical accuracy for his work. Take a look at his site, lots of interesting stuff there.

http://www.modeltruckin.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_142&products_id=512

He said he would make the decals for this truck if I want to build it some day. I know this blog is mainly for short track racing but this particular thread is for the unusual. So I got something like that. Bet nobody has seen a truck like this one.

coles2 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Mid 60's GMC "crackerbox" tractor powered  by a 6V-71 Detroit. I have some history with those brutes and they were just that. And NOISY! That tank was filled with diesel fuel or gasoline which they got paid for hauling to Aroostook county so they could then load potatoes into the trailer. They wanted to make something other than just "dead heading" up there. The trucks were sent to Hendrickson, the suspension people, and a second steer axle was mounted under the tank. Nifty huh?  That tank held 3,300 gallons of liquid. How would you like to have been driving that up the interstate at 75 mph with 3300 gallons of 100 octane Av gas in that tank......a foot behind your head?

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 01:04:34 PM »
Good job on this RIG. It's sure looks real.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Maineboy

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 08:44:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind response.

Nathan

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:37:02 PM »
......  That tank was filled with diesel fuel or gasoline which they got paid for hauling to Aroostook county so they could then load potatoes into the trailer. They wanted to make something other than just "dead heading" up there.

Drove a few cab overs (day cabs) over the years....never a cracker box ....sat in one once, cant imagine running 8 plus hr's in one especially with that set up...... more than likely no power steering, drum brakes, 6-71 driptroit that it seems like your constantly either shifting up or down .....     
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:41:16 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington