Author Topic: Am getting close.......  (Read 2683 times)

sentsat71

Am getting close.......
« on: July 02, 2021, 11:14:08 AM »
to giving up on building models. Completely.......

1. the desire is just not there
2. to some degree it has to do with no "real" LHS nearby, like there was when I was really into building models while living Southern CA back in my  hayday of building models. where it was easy to head to a LHS that were not all that far away for what i needed in addition to kits.
3. living in a rental house, just not comfortable in dealing with various messes when working on plastic. let alone a place to even spray paint.....
4. buying kits as I saw how I envisioned I wanted to build the kits, but once I got them,.........
5. I'm still into my other hobby....and enjoying it too much to drag myself to the model building table, which just collects whatever.....
6. As to what I'm going to do with my stash, I don't know. While I should work on unloading them, but find I cannot do so.......yet......

:( :( :(
Ed K.

TonyK

Re: Am getting close.......
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 03:48:02 PM »
Hate to hear anyone get discouraged in this hobby. I got over the "no real LHS nearby" many years ago but that's me. Got real good at shopping online and getting my supplies when I buy models. Used to be some good deals on shipping but that seems to be a thing of the past.

Don't know your exact situation with your house but I paint in my garage. If you don't have that can you set up a small canopy to paint under? Just trying to help in some way.

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 06:20:05 PM »
I agree with Tony! Hate to see anyone walk away from a hobby they love to do. Hopefully you can find a way to flick a spark back into your model hobby again!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Charlie.D

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 09:49:24 PM »
I've been thinking about the same thing. Because of the issues with my shoulder, hand and my depression. I've started a bunch of projects but none are finished.
Charlie Daniel

john2

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 06:03:05 AM »
 :)  It's age.

I now piddle with the few projects I have left with no thoughts of finishing any of them. 

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 12:43:09 PM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 07:59:12 AM »
john2.....

Oh, I'm not looking to unload ALL of my stash......yet.....nor have I decided what kits to start with.......

just know that the last kits to go, when that time comes, will be the Grant King sprint/super mod and the Edmunds supermodified kits......

need to see if I can start a list of kits that might.....MIGHT......the first to go.....
Ed K.

Maineboy

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 02:11:39 PM »
I have my bench set up in a small cubicle off the basement that is under a porch entry. I have my building gear and lots of model kits there on shelves. And have more kits and parts in the garage in storage. I had several of the old 3 and 1 kits from the 60's including the Deuce coupe. Sold some of them on ebay. Not sure why I did, wish I had them back. Moral of that story, don't sell out because you think you may be done. I have stuff I have saved for years. If I don't use it somebody else can after I am gone. I guess I am lucky that my stuff can stay where I leave it, and nobody will disturb it.

I had my right shoulder replaced in Dec and my left knee in March, both due to severe arthritis. I am going to have my right knee replaced in Oct this year. This has kept me from working on my model work, and will keep me from it again this fall. It has also hindered me in doing the construction work I have done most of my life. However I am willing to let it stay put so it is there when/if I want to work on it again, as I likely will. The point I am trying to make is that unless you live in a place that is really stressed for space, keeping your model stuff where it is now, will be there in case you change your mind some day. My  life has taken twists and turns a number of times and I have gone through periods of great depression when I did not want to do anything. I believe the human body needs to work in whatever fashion possible and working on models is good work for the body and soul both. As we age we slow down and that is often for physical reasons as I have run into myself. But I am  not going to throw away the things that have given me pleasure in the past, as they may well do that in the future. All I am saying is just because you may not feel like building models right now, it will be good to have them around in case you do feel like building them again someday.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

sentsat71

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 10:36:03 AM »
MB

Are times I just want to unload 'em all......then when I start looking at them, I start thinking "I don't wanna' get rid of that one, or that one,,,,,,"

And some of those kits were hard fought to find and lucked out t times to find some of them.....so they would be the last to go, when that time arrives.....
Ed K.

Maineboy

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 03:54:04 PM »
If you don't need the space for something else I would suggest leaving your model work right where it is. I have not worked much since Dec 2 last year. I have been laying around too much but had to let the shoulder and knee heal. I am working in a wood shop and some small projects  for friends. And the model bug has struck again. Everything was right where I left it and I picked up right where I stopped. I am fierce to work at it now. You just never know when that old urge will hit again.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

john2

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 08:30:21 PM »
 :)  I guess everybody has to make their own decisions based on their own circumstances.  I am pretty well done.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 06:20:36 AM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 09:57:45 AM »
This is what takes up my time these days....

This is just a small sample olf what I spend the most time on...
The race car is my own design that I started desgining back in the early 1990's
the others are modified designs from another source....
the following was the 1st race car done, using a 1/18th Petty car and the oval plastic canvas it was stitched on

Ed K.

Fordguy01

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 10:12:34 PM »
You know I've been down that road several times myself and every time I think of selling out and leaving the hobby I go to the basement and see my babies and I can't get rid of them.  They have been a source of support for me since ma died last year and that is another reason I won't sell out just yet.  I don't know how many kits you have in your collection but I'll bet you won't get what they are actually worth and then there is the sentimental side of things so there is much to think about.  One other thing you may one day see a work of art on here that could trigger your enthusiasm again.  Jus sayin!

Good luck
Al

sentsat71

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 09:39:41 AM »
Al

Know what you mean.....I have done what you have done....when I look at my stash, I cannot see myself unloading them......yet.....
Some have been bought due to the "chase" of trying to find some of the older kits, or older kits being reissued.  Other times when I see a kit, usualy online, I can see how I would want to build t, but when the kit arrives, I sometimes.....SOMETTIMES.....wonder why I bought it....
What has been my biggest "thrill" has been tracking down the old AMT Grant King sprint kits and the old Monogram (Revell) Don Edmunds Supermodified
Grant  King sprint kits (16) (11 from the 2006 reissue - 2 from the 1980's reissue, 2 of the original release and 1 of the 2 rssue back in the 1970's)
Supermodified kits (14) (3 from the 2012(?) reissues, one of the original 1967 rekease. 3 of the 1999 Revell issued kits with the trailer ( back around 2006, did some wheeling and dealng and traded the trailer for the supermod half of the kit. thru some other wheeiing and dealing around the same time, garnered managed to get the rest from those who bought the trailer/supermod kits, but did not want the supermodified portion of that kit.
When the supermod kit was reissued around 2012, my lack of finances at the time prevented me from getting more of that reissue.

Both the GK sprint (2006) and the Edmunds supermod (2012) were the result of a company in Iowa working with (AMT/Ertl) for the Sprint car and the supermodified. However, in trying to conrtact this company, ther has been no response. Have a feeling the owner of that business has either retired or passed away......

Not to mention, I have never seen on any of the few websites I frequent, there has never been any of the DTR (Dirt Track Racing) versions of either the Grant King spring nor the Edmunds supermodified.
So yes, I am hoarding those kits.  ;)
Ed K.