Author Topic: Theoretical Question  (Read 2376 times)

john2

Theoretical Question
« on: July 07, 2021, 05:25:50 PM »
 :)   Say you guys had ( God forbid ) some kind of personal disaster ( fire, tornado, etc. ) and lost EVERYTHING and had to start over completely.  And after you got back on your feet, you could afford only 2 kits.

Which ones would you buy ?

Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Maineboy

Re: Theoretical Question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 08:00:28 PM »
I always go back to the models that were available in  my youth and high school days. 1960-1966. The AMT 39/40 Ford sedan would be one of them and the 34 pickup would be the other. Have built several of each since my teen years. These cars can be built into most anything.  Restored antique classic. Grandpa's car that was in the barn for years, street racer, drag car and circle track racer. The nice straight frame on the 34 opens the door to a homebuilt modified racer. The only limit with those cars is your imagination. Hopefully you didn't lose that in the disaster.

Been thinking about buying the 34 pickup kit for a while, Now you have whetted my appetite by getting me thinking about that in my answer to your question. Always can find a place to stash another one I suppose.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 09:36:14 AM »
Don't know if I can answer that question.......

In a way I did just that, to a point, though not because of disaster of any sort, but the next "worse" thing.....numerous moves from 1981 to 2005......that's when my "purge began......
Did not have much in the way of kits when I started buying kits again the latter part of 2006.
1st one was the AMT '35 Chevy Tobias Modifed with Fred Sudlow's box art. Studied the box lid for the info on it.....was how I found Fred'S site. Eventually found Randy Ayer's site....have not idiea of what the second kit was.....ever since then, the collections as grown. have sold various kits, while collecting others.....

Today, have no idea what 2 kits I would really want.....not many "new" kits that have my intereest.
What I have tracked down in the last few years have been 2 of the oriignal AMT Grant King Sprint cars kits, two of the 1980's reissue of that kit with the supmodified body parts. and 1 original issue of the Monogram Edmunds Supermodified....as well as 2 pf the Edmunds Supers wtih the trailer......found that kit around 1999 at a LHS in SoCal, even thugh I was not building kits  that was in my heyday of NASCAR 1/64th diecast cars.....Traded that trailer and along the way, i got 2 of the Edmunds supermods form a couple of people who wanted the trailer but not the car.

Yeah, I know.....well off the topic....
 ;) ::) ::) :D
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 07:15:45 PM »
 :)  Buzz....Buzz.... Buzz  Invalid response.  Try again.  Question only calls for 2 kits.

Reenter password.  If you have forgotten your password you are outta luck. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 05:24:25 AM by john2 »

john2

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 11:44:03 AM »
 :) Okay, Ed.  You know I love to give you a hard time.

I'll do it for you.  Grant King sprinter towed by Moebius Ford utility truck.  'Course you'd have to come up with a trailer.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 08:08:13 AM by john2 »

john2

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 08:07:11 AM »
 :)  Well, not much interest in this, so I will tell you mine and we will be done with this.

I am with Nathan.  The first race I saw was in 1953, at a quarter mile dirt.  There were about a dozen jalopy cars there, which we called, simply, " stock cars."  Mostly ' 32 and '34 coupes, flat towed in.

So I'd get one of those, and period correct pickup. 

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 04:23:59 PM »
  If I had to start all over again it would be with a couple of kits that I dearly want to build sometime that I already have, but just haven't got the will.....the AMT/AMT/ERTL '71 Mustang and the Revell '57 Ford Custom     
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

sentsat71

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 05:51:49 AM »
John2....

Would this OLD trailer do?

a survivor from the ear;u tp ,od 1960's...
modified in the '70's.....
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 06:27:00 AM »
 :)  No.  Remember, EVERYTHING was lost.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 07:02:03 AM by john2 »

sentsat71

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 11:00:00 AM »
So, let me get this straight....ANY 2 kits that I can go check out on Model Roundup or Spotlight Hobbies that is current;y listed?
Or would it have to be a newer release?

Just want to make sure my choices will be right this time..... ;) :)

Ed K.

john2

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 08:12:58 AM »
Think about the 2 that gave you the most pleasure to build and own in the past.  No need to get bogged down in details.  Only 2.

sentsat71

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 11:55:29 AM »
Though they were hard to find at one time.....The Monogram Don Edmunds Supermodified.

The AMT Grant King Sprint car, the "Drifter" release, which I've gathered in some research I've come across was the 3rd version to be released back in the 1970's, as just the sprint car version.
Ed K.

Bob P.

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 05:29:34 PM »
I would purchase these two:   Don Edmunds Supermodified and a Revell Monogram sprint car.
With these two I could build two of my favorite replica's.

Bob