Author Topic: Build Ideas  (Read 3039 times)

Maineboy

Re: Build Ideas
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 03:05:22 PM »
OND, 

....."Mr Grants car ran a smallblock Chevy, with six dueces"......

Mr Grant must have indeed been a magician. Do you have any info of how he got them to run that good? I figured out how to make a 4 bbl work in the corners. Thought it was flooding for some time but finally figured out you were starving the inside bank in a hard corner.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Olderndirt

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 05:28:30 PM »
Bob Campbell ran a few races at San Jose, as did Jay Hatfield. They were the show during the transition from dirt to blacktop in Lakeport, and Ukiah. Campbell having the money to buy what it took to go fast, and Hatfield knew every moonshiner performance trick to make power without real racing parts. They were good friends right up until the green flag dropped. Jay, and Bob, were a few years older than Bill, and Deake, but racing against them made the younger group all excellent drivers.

Olderndirt

David Bogard

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 12:11:35 PM »
The entire goal from this is simply to try to help someone to glue some styrene. It is all about what I have as my little "signature" on all of my posts - "I appreciate people that actually build and post models."
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Maineboy

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 07:44:11 PM »
There are lots of really good ideas in all of this thread. I have seen cars here that I like a lot and have pondered on how to build some of them a bit. Just worked on my 56 bomber this afternoon and got a little paint on parts of it. Got basic engine assembled and some basic paint on that. Hope to have a photo or 2 of that in a few days. Also got some evergreen styrene in the mail today to build the cage in that car. Good to have new stuff to work with. Also just learned this week I have to help a dairy farmer friend put up several hundred acres of hayfield besides doing my own. Summer is busy for me along with trying to learn to walk on a new knee that was put in 3 1/2 months ago.

It is good to keep the ideas rolling in as one will strike someone's fancy anytime now.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

David Bogard

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 12:55:47 PM »
The big advantage (there are many really) that we have as model builders is that our stuff doesn't have to necessarily "work". Those cats had to make things function and sometimes it was better than the status quo. We can simply move the steering wheel here or run the exhaust out over there or whatever. Your imagination is really your only limitation!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/