Author Topic: 50's '40 Ford modified coupe  (Read 3663 times)

Dirtman

50's '40 Ford modified coupe
« on: July 18, 2021, 05:54:16 PM »
IMG_5828 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5827 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5822 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5825 by Rett Rundell, on Flickr
Always liked these modifieds, sooooooo, thought I'd build another one. Definitely a fantasy build. Flatty, dual carb, Qchg, biiiiggg tires. Got lots to do yet, but getting there.

Maineboy

Re: 50's '40 Ford modified coupe
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 07:13:58 PM »
Looked at the first pic and thought "I have got to ask what that is on for a frame, then scrolled down. Ford frame with parallel springs in the rear but still the Ford wishbone in front it looks like. There were a lot of modifieds built in Maine in the late 50's and 60's that used that exact same springing set up. Those Ford frames were used for lots of projects. Those fender cutouts sure hit the era just right. This was a natural step in the evolution from jalopies to super mods.

Nice, saw quite a few that resembled what you have here. Can't go too far wrong with a 40 Ford, no matter what you are doing with it. Whenever I hear someone mention a "coupe" race car or hotrod, the 40 is the first thing I picture in my mind. I am a long time sbc guy but have always admired those 40 Fords.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

john2

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 04:38:08 AM »
 :)  WOW Rett !   Really nice.  Keep her going. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

TarheelRick

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 09:05:13 AM »
I always cringe when I see a 40 Ford (of any body style) chopped up into a modified race car.  That being said really looking forward to what you do with this one. And yes I do have a couple of 40's in the que, somewhere down the line before I turn to ashes, that will be modified racers.  Someone on a past forum reminded me these are just plastic kits and are available quite reasonably, unlike the 1:1, therefore slice and dice to your hearts content.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

sentsat71

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 01:00:57 PM »
Looking great, Rett!!!!
Ed K.

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 01:04:02 PM »
Rick....

Did that to a couple of AMT '40 Fords back in the mid to late 1960's..one coupe and one sedan.....neither exist today.At one point I "reskinned" the sedan with an AMT '62 Chevy II....Have no idea what happened to that build, as I KNOW I didn't toss it out......
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 09:07:16 AM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.

Maineboy

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 08:43:41 PM »

......"I always cringe when I see a 40 Ford (of any body style) chopped up into a modified race car'......

Yep, I know that feeling. I have thought a lot of times about how many of those cars were made into jalopies in the 50's and 60's. I see a mod made from a 32 coupe and I grit my teeth.  In the mid 60's in the part of Maine I lived in you could easily find these old Ford coupes and sedans that you could almost have for hauling them off. I had several friends who owned various Fords and had put a 265 chevy motor in them using that adapter you could buy from J.C. Whitney that used the old Ford transmission. Lots of adventures with those cars and busted Ford 3 spds. Quite a few of those old racers owned junk yards and that was a tremendous source of cheap metal to beat on. I feel the same about the tri-five Chevys. But none of us then could think that far ahead. I would not have got married at 20 if I had had good foresight in those days.

MB

Dirtman

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 09:34:09 PM »
I always cringe when I see a 40 Ford (of any body style) chopped up into a modified race car.  That being said really looking forward to what you do with this one. And yes I do have a couple of 40's in the que, somewhere down the line before I turn to ashes, that will be modified racers.  Someone on a past forum reminded me these are just plastic kits and are available quite reasonably, unlike the 1:1, therefore slice and dice to your hearts content.

The '40 is my all time favorite car. So, I also cringe when I see them hacked into modifieds. They are awesome looking in any form. Actually, I owned a '40 sdn, '41 cpe, and a '41 pickup in 1:1. And yes these are just plastic!!

Rett

sentsat71

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »
The couple of 40 Fords I bought back in the mid to late '60's, all 2 of them, were not initially made into race cars, but the custom versions (AMT kits). the other I inherited from an older brother. One of the 2 coupes still survives....the other two were attempted to turn into race cars AFTER being built.

Ed K.

Fordguy01

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 10:21:16 PM »
I too share the same sentiments of the beautiful 40 Fords of any body style.  Rett looks like you've captured the look of one from the day.  Can't wait to see the finished product. 

Al

Dirtman

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 12:00:32 PM »
IMG_5858 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5855 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5851 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5845 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5836 by Rett Rundell, on FlickrIMG_5840 by Rett Rundell, on Flickr

Gonna say it's done. Converted to leaf springs, and 12 volt. Frame dash and body from Amt street rod kit, most everything else is scratched. Added a few extras some wiring to the flatty. I hate the way the old mods have the hood going up in front 'cause they were using a bigger radiator. This radiator is doing the job so, it's aero dynamic enough for me! lol And, yes, I know Hoosier wasn't around back then. So, I used them anyway!

Rett

David Bogard

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 01:44:10 PM »
Not sure what class that would actually fall into but it doesn't matter, it looks great. This race car would be many years after the old jalopies with the oversized radiators, skinny tires, etc. This would be some kind of "Vintage Modified" that would indeed be a blast to drive!!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

john2

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 02:12:31 PM »
 :)  Very nice Rett, and in my favorite colors  --  blue and white. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Maineboy

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 08:31:45 PM »
Real nice job Rett, looks like it was done in the traditional style I remember so well. Looks ready for the track too! I like the hood with it lower in the nose. Just gives it kind of a "sinister" look in my mind. I have seen photos of lots of cars built similar. Some used a 38 hood which was skinny like this one. Others did as I think you did, cut the sides off the 40 hood. However you did it the car sure has the "look".

Been waiting to see this one done. The wait was worth it!

MB

Dirtman

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 10:09:43 PM »
Not sure what class that would actually fall into but it doesn't matter, it looks great. This race car would be many years after the old jalopies with the oversized radiators, skinny tires, etc. This would be some kind of "Vintage Modified" that would indeed be a blast to drive!!

I was going to call it Vintage Modified when I started it!
At any rate, I'm happy with it, and hope others are too.
Rett