Author Topic: Krylon metallic paint  (Read 2041 times)

Maineboy

Krylon metallic paint
« on: July 22, 2021, 07:53:22 PM »
I got a can of this, in blue,  to use on my 56 Chevy project. No matter what I do the"metallic" part shows up in the finished paint much more than I like.  I have warmed the paint, agitated the can for serval minutes and still the same. The finish I get looks like it has sizable metallic pieces in it that show right up in bright light or sunlight. I am kind of disappointed as the color is just what I wanted. Anyone else had this kind of trouble? Any ideas on how to make it work better?

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Re: Krylon metallic paint
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 10:33:24 PM »
Did you prime the body first? A dark primer might help? But that might alter the blue a little as well. Try using several light coats, but I'm not confident you can do much about the actual metallic. I use Tamiya paints. The metallic is very fine in their paints. Much more to scale.

Tb

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 06:41:36 AM »
I bought this paint because it was the color I wanted for the car. I applied it over flat black primer. The color in it is OK but the metallic stands out too much. I used Tamyia lt blue with metallic and  that came out nice. Guess I shoulod not use cheap paint.

MB

David Bogard

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 12:56:29 PM »
Scale metallic only comes in scale hobby paints and even then the flakes can be too big at times. Glad you got it worked out!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Maineboy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 07:38:40 AM »
Thanks for the responses.   I sprayed the paint on a larger flat plastic surface and it looks lots better on that. I painted some wheels with it before I experimented on something else and now have to take the paint off of them. I agree, the metal particles are too big for this to be used on something as small as a model car. The metal flakes tend to be way over obvious on small multi curved surfaces. I was blinded by the color shown on the cap of the can and thought of little else. Think I have found another paint, non-metallic that is very close to the same color. Sprayed that on a flat piece of plastic yesterday and like that much better.

Back to car building when I get the time. This year is crazy, adverse weather conditions in Maine have  messed up our hay mowing operations. Never know what I am going to be doing from one day to the next. Winter is better time for model building as I have way more spare time with darkness settling in at 4 instead of 9 at night. Don't get any evening time to work on the models this time of year.

David Bogard

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 08:09:02 AM »
Agree on the time aspect. Just got back from about 10 days in Georgia to see my youngest daughter and my four grandchildren. I could not prepare much beforehand because of some work projects so now that I am back, I'm w-a-y behind at work/ with my own grass mowing and spraying/ with my mother's house and that mowing and spraying/ and so on. Time never seems to be on my side these days.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/