Author Topic: Video of Jalopy and early mod racing in Maine  (Read 2175 times)

Maineboy

Video of Jalopy and early mod racing in Maine
« on: July 24, 2021, 08:02:40 AM »
Came across this video today. This contains movie footage of mostly jalopy and early modified racing in Maine, at Unity race track and Beech Ridge Speedway. Glad this footage has survived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdVMc_hPRrA&ab_channel=don%27thityoursisterrecordings

Fun to see something besides just still photos from this era.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Dirtman

Re: Video of Jalopy and early mod racing in Maine
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 10:01:23 PM »
Very cool!

Rett

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 08:01:37 AM »
I think dirt track racing must have looked like this just about everywhere in the country it was found, at one time or another. Men started out racing with what they had available, which were ordinary cars no longer fit for the road.

It sure has grown from these early starts, and costs lots more money to do today. On one hand racing has grown as a professional operation, but on the other hand has lost a lot of the "family affair" it used to be. A lot of the small tracks have disappeared, as they have in Maine, no longer able to draw enough crowd to make it a financial success. Despite the increasing quality of the cars, mechanics and drivers, which are all good things. I can't help but feel that some part of it has been lost forever.

MB

David Bogard

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 08:17:39 AM »
The roots of racing absolutely has been lost forever. Same with most other things. Drag racing, land speed racing, baseball, county fairs, . . . . kite flying for crying out loud! Money and rules; rules and money; and eventually money rules.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Maineboy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 08:31:19 AM »
My wife and I used to breed and show American Quarter Horses in shows in northern New England and Maritime Canada, back in the late 80's and early 90's. We had horses qualified for the AQHA world show two different times. It was clear to us that just like in racing MONEY won in that arena too. Lots of teen agers, children of well to do families, had the best trainers, best horses and best equipment and won most of the time. When we could beat these people, with our backyard operation, it was a day of great joy. Did not happen often as money almost always carries the day in everything.

The current owner of Unity Raceway took the paving off the track with the idea of returning it to dirt. But I don't think there is enough public support to make it work. Ralph Nason, who owned that track for many years, said people have too many other things to do today and I think he is right.

MB

David Bogard

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 03:05:40 PM »
If/when the cost comes down, the racing will actually be better. I'd rather watch a good Street Stock heat than I would a Late Model deal these days.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Maineboy

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 06:52:53 PM »
The cars men built in my youth did not cost much, were fun to build and even more fun to race. People did it because it was sort of a hobby and was good entertainment on Sat night or Sun afternoon. Whole families went in large groups and supported their guy. I bet it did not cost as much as going to the movies today does. A strictly street car built like ours were would not cost much to build today either. Junk yards and back yards around here still have plenty of candidates. I dont think it was ever the top speed that mattered but only the 2 o3 guys all trying to win on the last lap.

We have lost something and I am not sure if we will ever get it back again or not.

MB