Author Topic: Slick Track Karts  (Read 2095 times)

David Bogard

Slick Track Karts
« on: July 27, 2021, 01:40:16 PM »
Now here's an example of what we probably should do with our dirt tracks. Let's slick them all up so that horsepower doesn't matter nearly as much as the driver. Maybe the costs would come down and we could have some real down-home racing again! Check out this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voVW-bK2jTw

I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Maineboy

Re: Slick Track Karts
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 07:03:02 PM »
That's pretty cool. Just like when they raced on Daytona beach you had to get your car sideways some distance before the turn, same thing in this video. One guy was really good and worked his way right up through the pack just like in a real race car.

Did a little research and this indoor kart racing is popular in many spots. Most of the indoor ones are electric. One company spokesman said the electric carts could reach 45 mph when they have track room. Saw some tracks that were much bigger than this one. It appears the carts are the same so driver skill is truly worth a lot.

When I was in high school go kart racing became popular in our area. They used to set a course up on the local airport taxiway on a Sunday, lined with hay bales on the corners and grown men as well as kids raced them. One fellow had a kart with 2 McCulloch 2 stroke engines on it that could hit 70 mph on the straight runway. That is screaming 3 inches off the ground.

Any kind of vehicle racing that has all entrants using similar vehicles emphasizes driver skill. I think that could be fun to watch.
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 07:24:30 PM »
  O.K so this might be like comparing Apples to Oranges......

I'm the one in the White t-shirt ,hat on backwards and sun glasses on...my drafting partner Mally, from the U.K, is directly behind me in the staging area.

This is a wooden, 3 story, twisty ,turny , up hill and down hill go cart track in Branson.  Been to it enough times to know that the wooden track slicks up the hotter the air temperature is outside which I use to my advantage sliding one of these carts around the turns.....its hammer down the whole time, lap after lap ;D  Only disadvantage is my adult weight verses some kids puny weight assuming that all the engines are reasonably the same H.P   
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

David Bogard

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 08:14:17 PM »
I've been on that same track a few times myself Brian! It is apples to oranges but that track is well maintained and a ton of fun. I try to really "work" at my driving because like you already alluded to, I have to have really good technique to beat that kid that doesn't weight in at 214 lbs like I do!! (ha!!!) Good public Kart tracks are a blessing!

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »
 Forgot to mention the in door track at Incredible Pizza on Campbell St. in Springfield Mo.  Pretty close to what is shown in the video clip...electric cars....little bit slower speeds, kind of like comparing a Late Model to a Street Stock....still fast enough to be fun.  The cars are done up to look like local racers of the area...Larry Phillips, David Turner, Rex McCrosky off the top of my head to name a few that I remember...I was able to drive the Larry Phillips car, only reason being that it was towards the back because everyone else piled into the cars parked up front.
  As far as advantage/disadvantage at the wooden track in Branson, I tried to be out ahead of kids with me tipping the scales @ 230 lbs. going up the hills.  I made that car as wide as I could by purposely staying just far enough off of the wall on the short route thru the turn that you where not passing between me and the wall unless you where brave enough to muscle your way thru....worked like a charm.  Going down hill it was hair back and tongue out.
  My drafting partner/blocker Mally from the U.K  (in the picture) got into the back of me a few times at the beginning of the race...figure he was letting me know that he was back there and since he is lighter than me was able catch up as I slowed down due to me weighing more.  After the race he was apologizing all over himself being the proper English gentleman....I got a really good laugh out of it.   
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

David Bogard

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 10:00:47 PM »
Good tip on the track in Springfield and I will jump on it during our next trip up there to see the Aquarium (again) or our Arkansas Travelers vs. the Cardinals, or whatever. "Team Karting", pretty clever Brian!! Springfield is a pretty cool little town. We hit Branson a time or two a year (Sight and Sound Theater a MUST), and then pop up to Springfield from there for a day about every other year. It's all good part of the Country just up the road from here!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 10:02:59 PM by David Bogard »

Maineboy

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 06:43:34 AM »
You guys look like you are having just WAY too much fun!

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"