Author Topic: Vintage Racing Machines  (Read 2232 times)

David Bogard

Vintage Racing Machines
« on: August 09, 2021, 04:04:45 PM »
Post your Vintage Race Cars Here. Does not matter if they are dirt, asphalt, stock cars or modifieds, or whatever. These would be current cars that run in Vintage Type Classes around the nation. This thread hopefully will build and remain as merely an inspirational tool that will encourage you to build something. Cars that you thought "They would never have built such a thing in real life", they probably already have, so let your imagination build whatever it wants!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:48:11 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

David Bogard

Re: Vintage Racing Machines
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 04:14:53 PM »

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 08:43:04 PM »

Jack Simmons from Erie, Kansas in the J-2

I do have a question....
  Are you looking for current day Vintage Class cars or old cars from when they competed on a regular basis.......say 1970's and older.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Maineboy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 11:00:38 PM »
That old Hudson is very cool. If anyone know's some NASCAR history they will know that those cars were terrifying to the other competitors from 1951 through 1955. They were NASCAR champions for 5 yrs. That old Twin H flathead 6 with two carbs and 308 cu in was something to be feared. Nice to see somebody grabbed one for vintage racing.

Here is a 57 Ford 2dr/post 300 sedan. Not fancy but just ready for business.

vintage2 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Here is a nice modified vintage racer coupe. Got another photo someplace to get a look at the motor. Think it is 6 cyl powered.

vintage 11 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Maineboy

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 09:34:40 PM »
Vintage Malibu

vintage8 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Something about this car just grabs my gut. It has just exactly the right "look" for it's era of race car. I have always liked this generation of Malibu. Don't see many as circle track cars.

Question for David Bogard:    You have an awful good eye for making slight changes in a model car that dramatically alter it's looks. This car looks to me like the roof has been lowered at the front and the windshield shortened. I know just a change of an inch or 2 can make a major difference. I have looked at many photos of this generation of Malibu and think this roof has been lowered. David, would you concur with that?

Or are my tired old eyes fooling me again?

MB

Maineboy

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 09:44:33 PM »
Same car, other side.

vin2 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

MB

Maineboy

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 09:53:19 PM »
Copy (or maybe restoration) of a modified that appeared at Beech Ridge Speedway in Scarborough, ME around 1968 or69.

vin3 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Did somebody say this was a very unusual car?

MB

Dirtman

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 07:43:10 AM »
Good to see that number 7 Monte Carlo included here. Pat "Hacksaw" Heaney from Milwaukee. One heck of a racer. Just recently retired after about 30 odd years of racing around that area.
Rett

David Bogard

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 10:46:29 AM »
Yes, that #71 Mailbu has had some adjustments made to the top. It was lowered slightly in the front and arced to better fit the cage. There are also some subtle differences between the two views of this car so they may have come from differing body-mounts.

Maineboy

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 01:16:13 PM »
David, good eye for detail as I said. This subtle change would likely make a positive difference in the aerodynamics at speed.  I know they have used templates at NASCAR races for years as car builders would make very subtle changes in shape, that could give them another mph and maybe some fuel advantage. I admire the kind of thinking that goes into that kind of alteration.

NASCAR templates circa 2010: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/420970-nascar-flexes-its-technical-muscle-before-each-and-every-race

MB