Author Topic: '34 Ford truck Gasser  (Read 2178 times)

Marty W

'34 Ford truck Gasser
« on: August 15, 2021, 01:27:20 PM »
Remember the '34 Ford truck CBP? I finished it, finally. Not crazy about the paint job, since I didn't stick with my usual Tamiya cans.

David Bogard

Re: '34 Ford truck Gasser
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 04:05:57 PM »
I like that BIG motor and those headers look great too. I bet it would be a handful to drive!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 09:33:58 PM »
Good to see it finished! Looks cool!

Rett

Maineboy

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 06:33:41 AM »
Real nice looking model. I think I have seen more different kinds of vehicles made from 34 Ford pickups than any other model, in my whole life. It's fun to try and picture a vehicle like this in 1:1 size. Bet it would be fun when you really got your foot into it.   How did you do the green on the headlight lenses and windows?

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Olderndirt

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 10:03:42 AM »
Marty, that paint looks like one of the automotive touch up colors I used on a chopped ‘32 three window coupe. I had trouble with it not having much shine. But I had a couple of partial cans of paint by the same manufacturer from a color change kit, so I tried skull masking cut outs, the color change medium, and then a coat or two of the clear. The paint turned out super. Especially after polishing out the clear.

Olderndirt

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 11:35:00 AM »
WILD LOOKING BUILD!!!!

Great job!!!!

Love it.......!!!
Ed K.

Marty W

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 02:29:34 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. MB, for the headlights and windows, I used special colored acetate, like what they use for colored spotlights in the entertainment business. I have blue, yellow, green, and red.

David Bogard

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
So that's why those colored windows and headlights are so entertaining!

Maineboy

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 08:44:00 PM »
Not to hijack the thread but interested in how folks color clear plastic, like on this truck. I have seen modelers using Sharpie pens in see-through colors behind clear light lenses. I have seen blue, amber, orange and yellow. Wondered if it was something like that though don't know how that would work on windows. Nice  model and the green certainly adds to the overall effect.

First time I saw colored lenses was on this MPC 57 Chev gasser by Chris at "hpiguys" on videos on Youtube. This photo was a screen grab and I had to blow it up some so it's fuzzy but you can see the blue light lenses. Done with  a see-through Sharpie pen on the back side.
blueglass by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Chris builds lots of models and makes wonderful videos of his processes. He builds out of the box and pretty sure paid by kit makers/hobby shops to make these videos to show what can be done with the kit as is. He builds them fast using cheap readily available stuff and does great work. I have learned a bunch of tips by watching some of his vids. Check em out:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ9GjTc1oMQlmUi3h3EvkeA

MB

David Bogard

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 10:06:40 PM »
Marty's got it absolutely right. I have the Evergreen assortment pack #9905 and they're great.

Maineboy

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 08:01:47 AM »
David, Is one of those colors the dark tint that so many people are using today on full sized cars and trucks?  Got to get a pack of that for sure.

If this thing were a real full sized gasser it would have to have someone like "Wild Willie Borsch" to drive it. Willie would have one hand on the steering wheel and his left hanging on to the side of the body of his fuel altered car, as it was going sideways, as it often did.  And he drove it with a devil may care attitude. This thing, real sized, would be wild when you touched it off. Gobs of power in a little light weight body, the secret of drag racers.

MB

David Bogard

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 08:49:53 AM »
Below was copied directly from the Evergreeen website. Mine was about $9 at my LHS a couple of years ago.

.010" (.25mm) THICK COLOR TRANSPARENT SHEETS.
PACKAGE CONTAINS ONE SHEET EACH OF RED,BLUE,GREEN, YELLOW AND ONE SHEET OF OPAQUE BLACK, .010" (.25mm) THICK.
COLOR SHEETS ARE ORIENTED POLYSTYRENE FOR EXCELLENT VISUAL CLARITY.
AVAILABLE IN 6" X 12"SHEETS.
5 SHEETS PER PACK.

sentsat71

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 10:36:22 AM »
Those headers remind me of what came in the late '70's MPC Datsun 4X4 Tow truck with a big block engined and front tilting hood/fender.....Had one of those back them, but never go around to building it.....some pieces of that kit survived, like the headers, which carried over to the Monster Truck release....(IIRC)....
Ed K.

Bob P.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 06:00:37 PM »
Very nice build Marty, it looks cool.

Bob