Author Topic: 1 of my few attempts at building street car model 70 gtx convertible  (Read 1998 times)

supergluek5

As the title says ! of the few street car models I have built. Paint is an actual mopar 70's paint that I left from a build I did for I guy worked with.   Hope you like it.

There's only 3 sports--racing, racing, and more racing

Bob P.

Re: 1 of my few attempts at building street car model 70 gtx convertible
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 04:25:18 PM »
Very nice build.

Bob

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 05:18:12 PM »

Real nice job, love the color, that's pretty close to the color they used on them. The detail under the hood is real nice. Those late 60's-early 70's body and chassis were great cars, Chrysler must have sold a ton of them. A friend bought a new 68 Dodge Coronet RT with the 440 six pack engine. I got a ride in it almost the night he got it home. Was really fast, made it right straight to my heart. 

Funny the things that excited so when we were still quite young.

Keep them coming, I am pretty fond of everything you have shown us so far.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

john2

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 06:51:13 PM »
 :)  Great, Captain.  One of my all time favorite styles of wheels.  I think they look good on lots of different cars and trucks. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

supergluek5

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 11:07:08 PM »
Thanks for the compliments Gentlemen.  To Maineboy the paint on this 1 is an actual Mopar paint code paint.  Several yrs. ago I built a replica of a guy's 70 Road Runner convertible for him and got the paint code off the actual car and had 8 oz. mixed @ the local Napa parts store and used it on this build.  At the time I did not take any pics of the build.  Had to kit bash a 70 RR hard top to a convertible.

supergluek5
Mike
There's only 3 sports--racing, racing, and more racing

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 08:35:33 AM »
Very nice looking build!

Ed K.

Maineboy

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 10:17:15 PM »
Mike,

Guess I should have read your first post a little closer. I thought that color was good and see why now. I just loved those cars. I think that was Chrysler's best decade.  I wanted a Road Runner real bad and they were not that expensive. But I had just got married in April 68 and my budget did NOT include a Road Runner. The RR's only had a 383 in them but that was pretty good, I had one in a 65 Ply Fury II at the time, ex police cruiser, and it went real good. My pals and I missed something  back then. We called cars with automatic trannies "slush buckets" that only girls drove. We missed completely, for a while, that Dick Landy and many others were doing things with those slush buckets we could not match with any 4 spd. To start with the auto only has to shift twice while the 4 spd shifts three time. The auto shifted hydraulically and was modified to change gears when you moved the lever, instantly. A young fellow from Alberta Canada brought an old dodge dart to Hot Rod's drag week a couple yrs back. Had a hemi with two turbos on it, dynoed at 2000 HP in racing trim. Yet a modified GM TH 400 could withstand that kind of power. Got to love the field engineering that goes into such things.

That Dodge Coronet RT that a friend bought I saw the first night he had it. Paint was silver and under the street lights it looked a foot deep. And wouldn't that car go. Oh my. heart would never stand that stuff now though it might be fun to try. See if I can still shift a 4 spd like I used to. Haha  Some things will never grow old.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

MarkJ

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 08:13:37 AM »
Wow, Looks awesome, George. I find that doing street cars is a lot harder than race cars.