Author Topic: 32 Ford Roadster  (Read 1687 times)

dirtmodwrench

32 Ford Roadster
« on: December 31, 2021, 06:57:55 PM »
Found an old Revell Rat Roaster kit at another antique store and bought it. Never had or built one when they were released as a new kit. Going to put my own spin on this one. Replacing the kit wheels and tires (although they are very nice and will be used on a subsequent hot rod build) with some resin jobs. Swapping out the SBC with a 392 Hemi, will need to get creative with the exhaust as there is very little room between the block and frame rails. Probably going to go with a bench seat instead of the small bucket seats in the kit. My local hobby shop just started carrying AK Real Colors paint, so I picked up a few jars of WWII colors. I am spraying on test spoons to decide on the main body color. First order of business is to lower the suspension on both ends of this thing so it doesn't look like a 4X4 with those large diameter tires!
32 Ford Roadster Mock Up by Mark Shea, on Flickr
32 Ford Roadster RR View by Mark Shea, on Flickr
32 Ford Roadster RF View by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Dirtman

Re: 32 Ford Roadster
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 11:56:50 PM »
Looking good, and you've got some great stuff planned. Looking forward to seeing this one done. I did one a few months back and was pretty happy the way it came out.

Rett

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 07:52:09 AM »
One of the most iconic American cars of all time. Henry built this beauty for just one year, 32 and more types of street rods, salt racers, roundy round racers and others have been made from this particular model than any other. In 1:1 scale you can buy the frame and body brand new and build your own car of your dreams.

I look at this model and think what a great start it is for a project. I can picture all kinds of things that could be done with it. Looking forward to see what you do with it.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Fordguy01

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 11:30:26 PM »
Hi MB, sorry I missed this one, Xmas time was difficult for me with the misses gone but no excuse to not go on living my life.  You could not be any more right about the 32 being probably the most iconic car ever built.  That includes all models.  Henry would be proud of how much these cars have been modified and updated over the years.  I've got this kit also and mulled over how I want to build it.  I can go in in any one of several directions with it.  So many wants, so much plastic and so little time!  Keep us posted on this.

Al, AKA Fordguy

Fordguy01

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 11:31:48 PM »
Oops, got the wrong builder, apologies.

Al

john2

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 05:44:57 AM »
 :)  Great.  I love glue bombs.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Maineboy

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 09:10:32 AM »
Channeling that body down over the frame is a great way to deal with that height issue as well as the suspension. That was extremely common in these cars, in the early days of hotrodding as well as today. A few years back a neighbor and friend built one of these with a 392 hemi in it with GMC blower. Had lots of goodies from "Hotheads" the hemi people. He would go by my house with his foot in it and sound like a 737 on it's take off run. Just loved it.

Hard to pick a better hot rod prospect though I am torn between the roadster and the 5w coupe. Henry would be proud of how many originals and clones of them are on the road today. You can buy a complete steel body, better than Henry built them, from Brookville. That is where my neighbor got his.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"