Author Topic: Paint question  (Read 3682 times)

Volzfan59

Paint question
« on: January 06, 2022, 05:26:23 PM »
First, I'm returning to modeling after a 30+ year hiatus. The small town in south Arkansas that I live in is 40 miles from the closest Hobby Lobby or any other hobby shop. I noted on a Testors can that Rust-Oleum now owns them. On some YouTube videos I've noticed some folks using Rust-Oleum and Krylon spray paint. Way back it was advised to only use Testors or Tamiya paints on plastic models.
My questions,
1. Is it okay to use Rust-Oleum or Krylon paints on model cars?
2. Where is a good place to order Tamiya or Testors paints?

Thank you for your help
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Maineboy

Re: Paint question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 08:51:34 PM »
Hi Volzfan59,

I returned to modeling after about 30 yrs like you. I do not have an airbrush but would like to have one. I use Rustoleum, Krylon and other brands on my models and have had no problem reacting on the plastic. I have had reasonably good luck but learned some stuff. I am careful now (don't ask how I learned that) to not mix brands on the same model. If I use Rustoleum primers, which I have had good luck with, I make sure the top coats are Rustoleum paint also. The two disadvantages to the rattle cans I see are that 1) it is awful easy to put too much paint on and 2) the color selection is not great. Whereas if you build a car and want to use what the factory used for paint on the real one, you can find matching colors for the factory paint that you can use in the airbrush. The main reason I want the airbrush is you have lots better control of the paint and you can use any colors you want, or mix your own.

I think the very best way to learn is to watch what others are doing. Youtube is great for that. There are a lot of build threads on STM that you can learn a lot from too. I pick stuff up here and there but am always open to learning new ways. That is how I got to STM. There is a guy on Youtube who builds lots of models, as a way for the model companies to advertise. He builds lots of cars and builds them quickly. He uses rattle cans. The price is much cheaper than model paint, which is an advantage. I have watched Chris build lots of cars and trucks and learned quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/c/hpiguy/videos

I am now watching a bit from another guy who uses an airbrush and am learning a lot from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX8IJYeIvAg&ab_channel=TheScalemodelingChannel

Go ahead and use the rattle cans. It's affordable and if you are careful not to mix brands on the same car and watch how much paint you put on you will do fine. I think you may get away with top coat different from primer if you let the primer dry real good first. You can take a blank sprue and test your paint on them to see.  I think more than a few of the guys on STM use rattle cans now and then or regularly. Its a good way to start without busting the bank.

Just my 2 cents.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Volzfan59

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 09:07:35 PM »
Thank you for the reply MB. I too want to learn airbrushing for modeling and for my bass fishing addiction. A fellow member here, Duane Carter replied to another one of my posts offering advice on airbrushing.

I'm going to Walmart in the morning for some primer and paint.

Thanks again
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

john2

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 05:47:50 AM »
 :) Where in Southern Arkansas ?    Just curious .  We are in Raymond, Ms, just SW of Jackson.

Good luck with your painting.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Volzfan59

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 08:12:48 AM »
I moved to Crossett, AR in 2019. I'm about an hour from the Mississippi River on hwy 82. I see that we are about 2.5 hours apart. Are there hobby shops in the Jackson area?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 08:16:49 AM by Volzfan59 »

john2

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 06:21:32 PM »
 :)  We have 4 hobby shops.  2 Hobby Lobby,  1 Hobbytown, and 1 Michaels.    All on the opposite side of Jackson from Anne and me, which means about 30  miles.  HT, one HL, and Michaels  are all in centers directly across a major highway from each other, which is good, but Michaels has less stuff.

No regular small shops. 

You mention one 40 miles from you.  Looks like Monroe La is about 50.  Don't know for sure, but I'd bet they have a HL. 

If you should happen to come over this way sometime, Anne and I  might be able to meet you at one of ours.  Our travel is pretty limited these days.  Anne has built several models. 

John and Anne Gorday

Volzfan59

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 09:41:13 PM »
There is a HL in Monroe, LA (little over 40 miles south) and a HL in El Dorado, AR (40 miles to the west). It's like I told one of my friends back home (Knoxville, TN), I pretty much live 40 miles from anywhere! I'll probably be over your way at some point this spring, I believe that there's a Bass Pro Shop in Jackson. I would love to meet you. I've been admiring your work for years!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 09:43:20 PM by Volzfan59 »

john2

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 05:16:23 AM »
 :)  Well, thanks for the compliment.  I am a mid level builder at best, and my day is pretty well past now.

Yes, we do have a Bass Pro Shop, and I forgot to mention there is a Hobby Lobby in Vicksburg, which is as close to us as all the others, with a lot less traffic to deal with.  We have some crazy drivers on the interstates around here. 

If you do get over this way, we will treat you to lunch.