Author Topic: Kits...Kits...Kits Everywhere  (Read 1884 times)

john2

Kits...Kits...Kits Everywhere
« on: January 06, 2022, 05:36:03 PM »
 :)  I guess it's just a sickness.  Hard as I try to wind this all down and bow out gracefully, these kits  just keep popping up. 

Guy moves into the retirement home where we live, who builds wooden boat models.  He does a show and tell for the residents, we get to talking afterwards, and all of a sudden we have a Chesapeake Bay Flattie sailboat kit.  I am going to do the boat, and the seamstress Anne, will do the sails and rigging. 

My nephew sends me a $ 50 gift card to HL.  With 40 % off, I buy 5 kits  --  3 cars and 2 trucks.  Why did I do that ?    Beats me.  Because I could, I suppose. 

Might just have to enjoy those in the boxes. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

supergluek5

Re: Kits...Kits...Kits Everywhere
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 05:55:27 PM »
John,

Modeling is like alcohol to an alcoholic,  Get one ya gotta have more LOL

Mike
supergluek5
There's only 3 sports--racing, racing, and more racing

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 08:28:54 PM »
John,

Maybe someday my life will calm down and I may have some more time. Right now I am running to doctors, had a shoulder and knee replaced within the last year and need the other knee done asap. Between doctors I am working in a friends cabinet shop. There is all the work I can do and then some. I thought this winter I would finish the 56 project but have not had much time yet. Supposed to snow tomorrow, maybe a chance there.

I grew up on the Maine coast, in 2 seafaring families, and have always been interested in the wooden boat builders, big and small, and the history of wooden commercial fishing boats in particular. I have known of those Chesapeake sailing vessels for most all my adult life. Have fun with that.

I am hoping to build a 16 wood canoe in that cabinet shop next summer if my knee cooperates. No big market but fun to build.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Volzfan59

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 09:02:28 PM »
Ha, That's how I am with fishing equipment! After 30 years of tournament bass fishing, I have 35 rods and reels, that's after selling my primary rods and reels. These are all my back ups! I've got way more crankbaits, jerkbaits spinnerbaits and soft plastics than I'll ever use, but I still purchase more and more. It's crazy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:09:03 PM by Volzfan59 »
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

sentsat71

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 10:29:28 AM »
Know what you mean John2....

I unloaded close to 100 kits.....still have close to 150 left.....most of which had been sitting on shevle units in my basement.....

but I still look at kits either online or the rare trips to HL

One kit is still on my "holy grail" list....that is the 1970's release of the "Drifter supermodified"  kitthat was the last issue of the original Grant King sprint car series before the 1980's relrsse of the 2 n 1 sprint release of the sprint/wedge supermodified... The "drifter" kit was the one I bought the most of.....
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 12:08:57 PM »
 :)  I'd love to have that one too, Ed.  Been looking for one. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4