Author Topic: Leo Cleary Modified  (Read 678 times)

Danh4

Leo Cleary Modified
« on: March 10, 2024, 09:35:03 AM »
I finished up this Leo Cleary modified yesterday.  The hardest part turned out to be the front fenders and after messing around with sheet plastic and aluminum from a soda can, I ended up cutting them from plastic spoons and piecing them together.  Not perfect but as good as I could do.  The body started out as the AMT '40 Ford Modified and it is mounted on a Big Donkey Vintage Modified chassis that was lengthened at the front.  Wheels, tires, hubs and lots of other parts are from Ron Coon and Mike's Decals.  The decals are by Polecat Decals.  It's not perfect but I'm pretty happy with how close I could get it to the photos I had.

Volzfan59

Re: Leo Cleary Modified
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 11:09:28 AM »
I love it, looks very racy to me. I'll be honest, I didn't notice the fenders at all until I remembered your description and blew up the photo. Even with that, I think the fenders look great. Thank you for posting this on here.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

TarheelRick

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 12:31:50 PM »
Beautiful coupe from a by-gone era. Everything about it looks just so right. Especially like the "Blue Ovals" on the roof.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Danh4

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 03:11:20 PM »
I love it, looks very racy to me. I'll be honest, I didn't notice the fenders at all until I remembered your description and blew up the photo. Even with that, I think the fenders look great. Thank you for posting this on here.

Here's a photo showing the paper pattern I made of what I thought the fender should be, my sad attempt at working a soda can into a fender and the eventual solution of the plastic spoon.  The tin black line on the spoon is about where I eventually cut it and rotated that part down about 90 degrees.  Luckily the spoon was thick enough that I could sand that corner round.

john2

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 05:50:47 AM »
 :)  One of the best models I have ever seen.  Really witty to work with the spoons. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Bob P.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 05:11:13 PM »
Excellent replica build. Nice job with the spoon for the fenders.

Bob

Michael F

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 03:34:50 PM »
Very cool !

That´s a model to be proud of!
Greetings from Germany!

pitstop48

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 07:56:13 AM »
very nice!

RCR