Author Topic: Introduce yourself.....  (Read 90100 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Introduce yourself.....
« on: July 11, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »
We are starting to get a little bit of a group going here. Some of us know each other from Freds, but others may be new or we missed each other on the other board. If you'd like, write your name, last name optional,  where you're from and anything else you want to add. I'll go first!

Tom Birky, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. (Eastern Iowa, we've got corn and dirt tracks!) Building for a tick over 50 years.  I like building mostly late model dirt cars from the 60s through present. Some NASCAR and most anything Chevy.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:19:44 PM by Tom Birky »

john2

Re: Introduce yourself.....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 03:26:53 PM »
 :)  John2    John Gorday, Pelahatchie, Mississippi.    I have built models off and on for 65 , and been a racing  fan for 63 of my 77 years.  I also enjoy football, art, and sport aircraft, and am a retired state employee.  Pea la hatch eee is an indian word for crooked creek.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

ModelCarMan AKA Ricky

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 05:56:08 PM »
Ricky Smallwood, Tampa Bay area.  Got back into building models 13yrs ago now.  Mostly build short track race car replicas from the 70s and early 80s from my childhood.

supergluek5

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:04:25 PM »
Supergluek5,

Mike Pulley live in Folsomdale, Ky.  Been building since I was 6, 59 now. I've been a race fan for 55 yrs. Saw my first race at the Fairgrounds in Nashville Tn. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:18:54 PM by supergluek5 »
There's only 3 sports--racing, racing, and more racing

Dirtman

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 10:07:52 PM »
Rett Rundell, almost 77 yrs old. Got back into building about 8 yrs ago. Originally from Wisconsin, where I raced Sportsman and Late Models in the Milwaukee area in the 60's and 70's. Retired, been in Springhill, Fl. since '83. Build models, read, sing kareoke, and ride my 2000 Harley Electra Glide trike!

Rett/Dirtman

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:34:07 PM »
Tom Mial AKA Slim Louis, turned 70 this passed April, originally from Milwaukee Wisconsin. Retired Chef, I play blues music all over the world when not building vintage race car models. Living happily in St. Louis MO. Go Brewers, Go Pack!

Cuda69

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 05:53:55 AM »
Larry Mickelsen, been back in the hobby 3 years now. I build mostly early 70s upstate New York modifieds and late models. I love to scratch build and do dioramas.

sentsat71

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 06:15:02 AM »
Ed Krause, Fenton, IA
North Central Iowa
Have basically been around model cars, etc. for as long as I can remember between my  older brothers. Got my first kit for my B-day back when I was either 9 or 10 years old.
Now have a huge (to me) collection of kits waiting to be built, since trying to get back into the hobby in 2005, (haven't counted them...) have several WIP's stashed around, all of which were started in Albuquerque, as that's where I got the "bug" again. but still have not completed a build. Why, I don't know. Have plenty if ideas. Can start builds.....but.......
Found Fred's site after buying the Tobias Chevy coach modified kit, and studying the box art, found the web site.......
Just turned 64 a few days ago......
Ed K.

TonyK

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 08:36:09 AM »
Tony Krist Oregon City, Oregon (just south of Portland)
60 years old retired and got back into models over 30 years ago. Build mostly all types of racing cars from F1, NASCAR, NHRA, short track, World of Outlaws, rally, any racing. Enjoy building figures too and dioramas.
Been a racing fan for as long as I can remember since my Dad took me to races in Portland when I was a kid and then I did the same with my son and now the grandson. Was lucky enough to crew on a couple of GT2 teams and worked for ESPN as a spotter for a few years at the CART and IMSA races here in Portland.
Wife still works so I take care of the house chores and yard along with my 2 West Highland Terriers and then I can spend time building models.

Bill in MA

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 07:05:09 PM »
I'm kind of shy.   :-\

Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt.

john2

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 07:17:30 PM »
 :)    That's a scream, Bill.     
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Bill in MA

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
Bill Silva.  I am 51 and was born and raised in Southeastern Massachusetts where I still live. I started building at about six or seven and continued on through my teens. Got back into it for a couple of years in the early 90s and once again for the 3rd time in 2006 and still at it more or less over 10 years later.  My modeling passions are modifieds, old pickup trucks, and I've recently found an interest in short track beater boxes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:46:19 PM by Bill in MA »
Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »
Greg Birky, brother of Tom, friend of all here on this board(hopefully)!!!  I live in Newton, Iowa, home of the Iowa Speedway.  I'm 65 years old and came back to building models about ten years ago.  I more or less dabble since I've been undergoing cancer treatment and dealing with blood clots in my leg and both lungs.  Anyway, I love camping, fishing and building models.  I love going to the races but had to forgo that in the last couple of years.  I spent quite a few years as a co-owner and builder/pit crew with a good friend of mine on a neat little Pinto mini stock and several years as a younger me helping build and crew a sportsman and late model here in Iowa.  I am married with two grown kids and two nine year old canine kids, a Bichon Poodle and a Maltese Yorkie, just like kids...So, back to the business at hand...I love short track stock cars, mostly dirt, hot rods, customs, street machines and mostly Chevy, Chrysler products, and Ford.  There's a little snippet of me and I've enjoyed reading about y'all!!!🏁
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:11:10 AM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

TarheelRick

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 07:29:49 AM »
I am Ricky Johnson and live in the house my father built in 1963.  I was born and raised in western North Carolina (GO HEELS & PANTHERS).  After High School I joined the USAF and made it a 21 year, 2 months, and 18 day career.  Retired in '89 moved from job to job, not much in the local area since the downfall of the tobacco industry.  Got called into ministry in '99 and retired from that in '12.  Since then I have been driving a school bus (middle/high school) and really enjoy it; especially the summers off ;D.  I have been building since 1959, had a pretty good collection of AMT/SMP/MPC annuals and other assorted trophy series, etc., but got tired of packing them up for moves (USAF) so I sold then in '84  :'(.  After retiring from the USAF I again got the bug and have since amassed a rather large (for me) collection.  I will build almost anything: customs (mild and full), street rods/machines, drag cars, factory stock, and short trackers.  For some reason I seem to gravitate back to short trackers when I am trying to get out of a building slump, something about them holds my attention better than other builds.  There you have my manifesto.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Bob P.

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 08:29:39 PM »
Bob Portzline, age 71, McAlisterville, Pa. Located right in the hub of central Pa. dirt track racing.
I’ve been a racing fan for sixty five years, since my Dad took me to my first race at Selinsgrove speedway.
I built models from around ten years old through my teen years. Then built some Nascar models in the nineties. . I have been back building again for six or seven years. Now almost all of my builds are replica’s, of central Pa. dirt track cars, called bugs or super modifieds from the sixties.  My favorite time in racing was from 1958 thru 1967.Still a race fan, mostly sprint cars.