Author Topic: Introduce yourself.....  (Read 90171 times)

john2

Re: Introduce yourself.....
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 06:24:15 PM »
 :)  Great to hear from you, Joe.  It has been a long time.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 11:41:10 PM »
Welcome home, Ron and Joe!!!  Jump right in and have fun here!!!  It's really cool how the family is coming back together one by one!!!  Hey Ron, I had family who lived in Milaca but they're kind of spread out around the big town since my uncle Don passed.  Pretty country up your way. gb
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Big Orange

Re: Introduce yourself....
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 06:58:22 AM »
My name is Thom (aka Big Orange) and I'm the same person that was on Fred's. I'm a NJ native living in the Greensboro NC area for the past 15 years....they say I'm a "damn Yankee" now :)

Unfortunately, work and life restricts my time for building and checking in on forums. I turned the big "five-o" this year, and I work for a globally recognized company known more for building automobiles and motorcycles than building 7 passenger business jets.

I've been tinkering with models since my teens, and developed a passion for scratch built replica northeast modifieds. I have only completed 3 builds over the past few years (2 Richie Evans and a Charlie Jarzombek Vega) but I have 2 in the works. I'm between PC upgrades and a Flickr account, but I will try to post pics of my past builds for those who may not remember or have not seen before.

I used to hand letter race cars, trucks, boats and signs (remember brushes, paint and technique...lol) but gave up my talents with the advent of the computer generated graphics era. I grew tired of creating things only to have others copy and capitalize on. I spent a few years helping out a local dirt modified racer and learned most of what I incorporate into my builds from him.

What's left of my spare time, ha-ha, is spent cruising with my wife in her recently acquired 2015 Corvette, riding my Goldwing or doing a track day at Virginia International Raceway on my 2008 Suzuki GSXR 600
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:24:00 AM by Big Orange »
My worst day of building STILL beats my best day at work !!

john2

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 07:02:04 AM »
 :)  I remember you.  Good to have you with us, Thom.

Big Orange

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2017, 07:07:48 AM »
Glad I found remnants of the gang John. Here are the links to my Richie builds. I'm still trying to find the pics of my Charlie J vega build:

http://3widespicturevault.com/SUPERMODELS_Pics&Vitals/3Wides_SuperModel_z51_Levers.htm

http://3widespicturevault.com/SUPERMODELS_Pics&Vitals/3Wides_SuperModel_z55_Levers.htm
My worst day of building STILL beats my best day at work !!

Bill in MA

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »
BIG ORANGE IN DA HOUSE!

Welcome, Thom!  Glad to see you found your way over.  Looking forward to seeing some builds.  I know they will be top-shelf stuff!  :)
Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt.

JimW

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 01:24:32 AM »
Hello Follks  I'm Jim White living between Dallas and Ft Worth TX , just turned 59 3 days ago , been married to the same woman (Carol) for 42 years we have 2 daughters both married and living on their own.
 Retired in 1999 for health reason from a job  I loved doing , my wife and I started a small Safety equipment company called Fasttrax safety we made custom drivers suits, shoes ,gloves,5and 6 points seat belts and the 3 point nets you see on a lot of sprint cars .

I'v always been around racing in one form or another growing up my dad raced open wheel modifieds , my self and 2 of my brothers raced open wheeled modifieds and sprint cars, in 1995 we moved our business to INDY where I was a crew chief from a USAC sprint car and silver crown team also still making safety equipment for drivers
I cant remember when I started building models ,, have 2 brothers older them me both of then were building model's so I think I built my model's from thier junk and leftover parts 

many of you might remember me from FRW site where I was a member and part of the Admin along with other to help him keep the site clean and good running order... now lets get back to what we love to do  build model's
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

sentsat71

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2017, 05:56:22 AM »
Good to see you here, Jim!!
Ed K.

spotter23

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2017, 04:09:40 PM »
Mark Gregory New Smyrna Beach Fl by way of Nashville TN. Introduced to the site by Tom when he helped with the search from another forum, I was looking for wide 5 wheels (Ron Coons). Build mostly round track race cars 60's & 70's to pre 2000. love anything with an open trailer or old school haulers.

Used to sit at the kitchen table & watch my dad build models before I was old enough to read the instructions. Built for many years then slacked off as kids got older, working and racing sorta took the place of modeling. Back to the bench over the last 2-3 years. Will try to post some photos when I can figure out the procedure.

Currently a retired manufacturing engineer from Peterbilt Motors. Still part time as a Nascar spotter of 24 years.  Member of 2008 Nascar truck champion team with Johnny Benson, 2009 ARCA champion Justin Loftin, 2012 Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti. 2015 Rolex 24 Ganassi team. Multiple wins across several series.
"Looking Cheap Ain't Cool & Looking Cool Ain't Cheap

john2

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »
 :)  Welcome, Mark.  Sounds like you are one of our kind.  Johnny Benson is one of my favorites.  Looking  forward to exchanges with you on STM.

Great bunch of guys here.

Bob P.

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »
Welcome Mark, I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your builds. That spotter job sounds very interesting.

Bob

Hondo

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
Jim Mullis here. I've always tried to keep "Hondo" as my alias on modeling sites.
I'm a project manager for a large hardware distributor.
I reside in the very most NW corner of Mississippi., just south of Memphis, TN.
Grew up in Charlotte and lived on the SC coast for a little while before going back home.
I was transferred to Memphis with my job over 20 years ago and never made it back.
Fan of most types of racing (sorry no drifting).
The large percentage of my models have been racing types.
Funny cars, top fuel, short track, older NASCAR with a few trucks/haulers thrown in.
I have enjoyed building since I was  "in the single digits".
:)

Grt222

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2017, 06:00:51 PM »
Finally got around to getting signed in here. I know most of the guys here from freds. I am Tony gollaway (grt222) from Cincinnati. Haven't been building, or should I say finishing any builds lately, but looking forward to finishing a few here and posting them. I haven't posted anything in over a year since photobucket changed. Is there any other free sites to post pictures like photobucket used to be?

john2

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »
 :)  TONY !  Glad to have you here.

I  am not able to post pictures either right now, so I will let the other guys fill you in on that.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2017, 07:12:08 PM »
Tony! So glad you joined! Glad to have you here.  Looking forward to your builds.

Tb