Author Topic: '61 Chevy late model convertible  (Read 18706 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
'61 Chevy late model convertible
« on: May 29, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »
So I went to visit my brother last week in Newton, Ia. He's still going through chemo for his cancer deal..looking ok, but very tired. Anyway, Greg says, here...you can have this...I thought it was an unbuilt model. But behold! It's already started and all the hard work is pretty much done! Score! Not sure if he felt sorry for me or really wasn't going to finish it. Either way I'm totally digging the 61. Going to model it after one of the local 'bad guys' from Hawkeye Downs. I probably won't rough it up as much as in the photo...maybe first night out kind of thing..But then with the way Arlo drove, that pic may very well be night one! haha
Arlo by Tom Kirby, on Flickr
20170529_204455 by Tom Kirby, on Flickr
20170529_204508 by Tom Kirby, on Flickr
20170529_204501 by Tom Kirby, on Flickr

john2

Re: '61 Chevy late model convertible
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 04:34:20 AM »
The dryer ?
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »
Gotta give ya props for trying, but, "in the dryer?", that's a good one!!!

Rett

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »
Love it! Really enjoyed watching full size cars on a short track. Like O'Hare in Chicago!

john2

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 02:10:02 PM »
 :)  Well, I have seen a few models of smashed up race cars, and always wondered how they did it.

Maybe I'll try it.

I forgot to mention on that reply, that it was in the spirit of one of Goober's deadpan reactions on the AG show. 

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:30:11 PM »
Arlo hung up his helmet about 4 years ago I think.   There's a guy who builds wrecked stockcars..saw his stuff at a model show in southern Wisconsin. He replicates the doors and fenders out of foil, then like coats the back with super glue to make them stiff. Looks like a TON of work, but the end result is pretty convincing! I'll post a pic if I find one.

tom

BobD

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:53:03 PM »
Arlo was a guy that always got a reaction (love/hate) from the Hawkeye Downs crowd.  He also promoted races at the Benton Co. Fairgrounds in Vinton, Ia. for several years .  A great start to what will be a detailed replica for sure!  Can't wait to see it.  Pictured is a hemi-powered Dodge he later drove.

john2

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
 :)  I am still thinking about this dryer business.    ;D

BobD

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 06:50:40 PM »
Not sure who owned/built Becker's Dodge....I'll have to do some research.

Olderndirt

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
A more workable foil for bent panels is the foil off the top of some wine bottles. It heavier, and more forgiving, but buckles like real metal panels.

Olderndirt

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »
Nothing too important Bob. I was just curious if the #88 Arlo Becker Dodge had any relation to the #88 Dodge Chargers that Jim Gerber later drove for several years. Both Mopars; both #88; both Iowa hot-shoes. . . just seemed like a lot of coincidence.- David

As far as I know, Arlo owned the Dodge but I'm not sure who built it.  That had to be about '68 or '69 and Arlo raced in both the B Modified class in a Chevy and the Late Models with the Dodge.  Lee Nelson, a long time Birky family friend used to pit for Arlo during those years.  I remember some wild stories being told about Arlo, Red Droste and Rich Krafka.  Arlo would be racing in the B Modified class and the next race in the Dodge...The pit crew would have the Dodge in the staging area and running so that as soon as Arlo came in the pits he would jump out of the Chevy and run Lickety Split to the Dodge.  It didn't look like much but that hemi sure could fly!!!  Arlo finally hung up his helmet a couple of years ago in his mid 70's while he was still winning!!!  Quite a colorful career for Arlo, the man people either passionately loved or passionately hated.  Let's just say that it was often questionable as to how legal the cars were. gb😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁??💥🌩
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:31:12 PM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

john2

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »
 :)  There seems to be a number of drivers who carry that love/hate trait.

Olderndirt

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 08:24:23 AM »
Does anyone know if Arlo's '61 had a big block "W" motor in it, or a small block? Those torquey "W" motors in 348, or 409, were pretty good on a short track if you could get them to hook up, and didn't overrev them.

Olderndirt

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
It was a .060 over 283 making it a 301 cu. in. engine.  Seems like it had a 327 crank in it.  I remember standing by it while it was running in the pits.  Exhaust came out the right side in front of the rear tire.  You could stand six feet away from that exhaust and feel it blowing on your pant leg.  Must have had an awesome grind cam to do that.  Arlo would tell you just about anything you wanted to know except what that cam was.  He sure could make those cars fly.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

BobD

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 01:50:57 PM »
 (Attached) - A friend's collection of Arlo Becker models.......