Author Topic: Plastic Coated Wire  (Read 8314 times)

David Bogard

Plastic Coated Wire
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »
I recently picked up some plastic coated wire from Plastruct and that stuff is pretty amazing. You can bend it like wire all day long and yet it looks like styrene rod so it's really an interesting option for building roll cages, etc. The Pro's are plenty. The Con's are that it is fairly expensive. All in all, if you have some really intricate or complex rod bending to do, the "wire that looks like rod" is a great way to go!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:17:48 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Bob P.

Re: Plastic Coated Wire
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »
David,

I have been using the plastic coated wire since I got back into building around five or six years ago.
I believe it is only available in two diameters, 3/64th 1.2MM and 1/16th 1.6MM 
I use some of this plastic coated wire on almost every build. I use it mostly for roll cages and nerf bars.
I use CA glue BSI Insta Cure on all the builds with no problem or failures. I've seen the same glue I use, on your work bench, on some of your photo's.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Bob

pdaly28

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »
I just received mine from Sunset Juntion Model Trains.looks like neat stuff for 1.25 cages and nerf bars,so here is a heads up.......
I bought 1 pkg of this(90102) at 10.50,1 pkg of evergreen 212 at 3.23 and 1 pkg of 9030 .030 sheet at 3.77 mailed to my door 2.03,total with a little discount...19.59.pretty hard to beat unless you have a stocking dealer in your town. (509)828-2379.They are in Spokan Wa and are super people

JimW

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:34:21 PM »
when I first got back in the hobby in the early 80's , I used this plastic coated wire on most all my builds , after a few yeas I got away from using the plastic coated wire it just cost to much to use and it was a pain in the back side to cut  . yes it stay's when you bent it and CA works well with it but so does evergreen styrene rod and if you take your time the styrene  works just as good  and cost a lot less per build , GLAd to hear it work like a charm for you guys ... always work with what works the best for you !
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

pdaly28

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 07:38:46 PM »
I work with evergreen usually,but as I get older,I am looking at easier ways to do things.and In due time i'll just be watching you guys and that's not far off